Chapter Four

The two days flew by fairly quickly for Hermione and she had luckily survived the night without the routine nightmare. For that she was grateful.

"How embarrassing would it be if someone heard me screaming on my first night?" she thought miserably. She shook her negative thoughts away as she finished the final flourish of her mascara wand.

Today was going to be her first day as an actual apprentice in front of students and she could feel a knot tightening in her stomach. Nerves. Where was her Gryffindor courage?

When she walked into the main room, she put the simple robes over her outfit and put on a coordinating pair of heels. Before walking out she gave herself a once over in the mirror and left the room.

Hermione knew as she grew closer to the classroom that the students would be arriving soon and she could feel her heart trying to strangle itself. Her palms were slightly sweaty and she gently wiped them off and turned the knob.

"Ah, Miss Granger. How nice to see that you can actually follow simple directions." She bit back a spiteful remark and went to her desk in the corner of the room. "It would seem so, Professor. It is a lovely morning for the first day of term."

    Snape had to bite back a snide remark and continued his preparations for the soon coming students. He slid a piece of parchment from across Hermione's desk.

    "Our first class will be first years and hopefully this is a potion even those dunderheads can't mess up." She rolled her eyes. "Sir, they're only children and besides I'm sure even you weren't a skilled potions master at eleven."

    Hermione could see the beginnings of a smile playing on his lips and laughter in his eyes but it quickly disappeared. "Quite the opposite, actually. It would seem I was born with my skills in the art that is potions."

    She laughed and smiled as she saw the first student arrive. She look and her watch, which Harry had given her for Christmas, and on the enchanted face she saw they still had twenty minutes until class started.

    The girl had wavy, bright blonde hair and she was had a curvy build. Her robes were pristine, not a wrinkle in sight. She walked with a cat like grace to a seat in the back of the room. When she sat down she promptly pulled a book out of her satchel and went to work.

    "Whatever you say, Professor. Now, how may I start our day?" He directed her toward the potions closet with a hand and gave her a list. "The first years will need all of these for the potion they are making today." She nodded and went to fetch the ingredients.

    The minutes passed by quickly and Hermione could practically feel her excitement growing. She had written the name of the potions every class would be making that day and created copies of the directions the students would most certainly need.

   Pretty soon every desk was filled but two and Severus Snape stood up in front of the room right on time. He started to explain the basic rules of his class and his expectations for the year, but in the middle of his speech he was interrupted by the opening of his door.

    Two boys peeked their heads in and reddened slightly. "And I would assume you two are Stone and Zabini the new Gryffindor disappointments?" Hermione felt an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. The two boys reminded her greatly of Harry and Ron in their first year.

    "I'm sorry, professor. We got lost on our way from the Great Hall." The boy who spoke had caramel hair and dark blue eyes that bordered grey. "Since you are so keen on starting off the year with negative house points, Mr. Zabini, ten points for arrogance and take another five for being late to my class."

    The boys ducked their heads and went to the last available seats next to the girl with her head stuck in a book. She couldn't fight the feelings that hit her in that moment. She felt so...old.

The rest of the day passed by fairly quickly and Hermione could feel herself slipping into a routine. The classes were as good as they could be; she could still feel the energy of summer radiating off of the children. Their vibrance was so intoxicating.

She loved seeing the looks of terror on her pupil's faces as Severus came spoke to them. It was so hilarious to think of how it was her in their places not five years ago.

All of the classes seemed to have a different air about them. For example, the seventh years reeked of arrogance and faint scent of something no doubt illegal while the first years sat in their desks with the slight aroma of what she'd assumed to be fear.

    One thing stayed true in every year's lesson however and that was the scowl that seemed to live on Severus's face. It was the very same look she'd grown accustomed to during her years at Hogwarts; Hermione found it quite endearing.

At a quarter to five all of the students had finished their first day of classes and were all too ready to eat dinner in the Great Hall. As the children vacated the room, Hermione turned to look at Snape with her large doe eyes and Snape inhaled a sharp breath.

The look on her face rendered him speechless as he realised how she resembled Victoria. The adorable little nose, the unruly bush of hair and the undeniable look of pure innocence in their eyes. Severus couldn't believe his luck.

Of all people he had to get the know-it-all. His thoughts were interrupted by her soft-spoken voice. "Professor, is there anything I may do to help you? Perhaps clean the cauldrons or help you prepare more draughts for Madame Pomfrey?"

For a few moments his tongue forgot how to form words. His head was still reeling from the thought of Hermione bearing his children. He had imagined a woman more close to him in age and though he knew that his wife to be would be beautiful he had not expected this.

Here he was an old, greasy haired git and there she was. Standing in front of his desk holding her ancient, tattered copy of Pride and Prejudice, she looked like an angel with the sun lighting her face. No, he would not fall for this girl. It would be unfair to her to be stuck with a man as old as he.

"Yes, Miss Granger. I suppose it would be a good idea for you to cleanse the cauldrons. Also, I would like you to prepare the lessons for the third year's for the remainder of the week." He couldn't let her suspect his newfound relation to her or how his heart was beating wildly in his chest.

When Severus Snape laid in bed that night sleep couldn't seem to find him. He lay there for hours with only his thoughts to keep him company. The image of a certain brown eyed girl kept him awake for longer than expected and all he could think of was how he didn't deserve the love of a girl like her.

He had done despicable things. He could not credit himself with being particularly good looking or being a morally superior person. All he had to offer her was a considerable amount of money and mentally challenging conversation. No she couldn't love him. She would never love him.After all, who could love a beast?
----------------------------------------------
Hello, my loves! I must say that I am terribly sorry for the wait, however I cannot say that I've been very productive since the last update. I've had a hard time trying to find the motivation to finish writing the chapter but a certain reader inspired me. So, this chapter is dedicated to Snapelover_E for being my inspiration. Until the next time, lovelies. Final word count: 1351.