2. Alannah

It's always a great feeling waking up after eleven hours of undisturbed sleep. The bright summer sunlight is filtering through my almost closed blinds. Snuggling down into my duvet I reach an arm out and grab my phone, there's a text message from my friend Nimah.

From Nimah
Danny's said you didn't feel well
Hope you're ok x

To Nimah
Yes sorry I left, you know crowded places aren't really my thing. I'm feeling deter today x

I'm still confused about last night, Danny had kissed me back, yes I sort of threw myself at him but he held my hips tightly to his body and kissed me back. I swear I can still feel where his fingers were gently caressing the dimples at the bottom of my spine as we sat in the dark waiting for my lift home. The traces of his kiss still linger on my mouth, the slight taste of alcohol vivid in my memory.

The noise of my phone ringing pulls me out of my daze where I was dreaming of last night's minute of bliss with Danny. I see his number on my screen and I instantly freeze.

"Hi Danny, didn't expect you to be awake this early," I cringe as the words leave my mouth, I just sound like someone's mum who is trying to be funny.

"Early? It's not early, come on lazy get up," I can hear him grinning on the other end of the phone.

"Oi watch it," I warn him jokingly, "anyway what do you want?"

"For you to get out of bed for a start and then we're going for lunch" he put emphasis on the word lunch just so I would get out if bed.

After a quick shower to remove any of last night's left over and unwanted make up I get dressed. Once I had got up I realised how uncomfortably hot it is. I pull on a pair of denim shorts and a plain black vest top with a bright floral print. I pull my still damp hair up into space buns high on the back of my head and wrap a choker around my neck. I don't bother with make up as I'm already running a bit late, instead I grab my phone and purse, shoving them both in my bag as I slide my feet into my Doc Martins and almost run out the house.

As I approach our usual place we go if we have lunch I'm more nervous than usual. Today I'm very aware that my shorts are very short and the front of my top dips a but lower than I would like it to.

'Don't be stupid Alannah, last night meant nothing, stop overthinking things, you're just friends, he probably won't even be able to remember last night.' I scold myself as I push through the doors into the nice cool restaurant. Instantly I feel the blessed air-conditioning on my face and legs. It cools me down sufficiently as I scan the busy café for Danny. 

It's busy but I can't see him anywhere, I scan every table looking for him but he isn't anywhere to be seen. My heart sinks to my feet, he did this on purpose, built up my trust and made me feel special and then cut the strings on my parachute. I'm about to burst into tears, not something I wish to do, when I hear someone shout my name.

"Lanna! There you are!" He grins and bounds over to me, "I thought you weren't coming, what took you so long?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe to fact that someone rang me and forced me to get out of bed agaisnt my own will." I say it jokingly but I see him face drop slightly.

"You didn't have to come if you didn't want to spend time with me."

"No Danny I didn't mean it like that, of course I want to spend time with you, he'll you're my best friend, I just don't like to be rushed in the morning." I feel terrible and try and reassure hin that I treasure his attention and friendship more than anything.

His playful grin is back as we emerge into the sunshine out the back of the café, the garden area is even more full of people than inside was. "Morning? More like afternoon?"

"Shut you're fucking mouth," I flick him on the head, he goes along with it and pretends that I've hurt him. I grin at how cute and sweet he is.

'ALANNAH! STOP IT'

We sit down on the grass in the scorching sun. I look up from my sandwich with my mouth full of food, Danny is staring at me.

"Mmmhhat?" I mumbled incoherently, I'm supposed to say 'what?'

"You're the only person I know who can make eating a sandwich sexy," he looks down at his own plate his face growing red.

I just about choke on my food in shock. He just said what?

"Sorry I shouldn't have said that," he mumbles.

"I... I don't mind Danny it's just abit strange, I've never been told that before."

"No, forget I ever said anything," he turns his head to look the other way so he doesn't see my inquisitive gaze.

The silence descended on us, only now it's dense and heavy and awkward. It's never been like this before.

"Sorry about last night," I eventually speak up, "I was stupid I shouldn't have done that." I put my empty plate down getting prepared to leave, I can't take this uncomfortable atmosphere.

He turns to look at me with sad eyes, "That's what I wanted to talk to you about," he twiddles the leather braid around his wrist, "I... I've felt something towards you for a very long time now, since I sat next to you in year nine Physics, I, I really like you Lanna."

His face is bright red and he keeps stuttering and falling over his words. I don't know how to reply. Although I had tried to deny it, I know deep down I do like Danny. Heck, I really do like Daniel O'donoghue. I see him biting his lip with nerves so I rest my hand on his hand.

"Sorry I... I'm sorry, I understand you don't feel the same way... I... I knew you wouldn't," I can hear the raw bitter sound of disappointment in his voice, "I'm sorry if I've just ruined our friendship."

I can't speak. But my mum once told me sometimes actions speak louder than any words can. I place two fingers under his chin and raise them so he's looking directly into my green eyes. Then I lean forward as he does the same. We meet in the middle for a brief kiss, in that fleeting moment I know that things will never be the same again and that my heart has been stolen.

A/N
Ooohhhh..... what do you think so far? Let me know. Hope you're enjoying it. Hopefully this one won't have such a dark ending but you never know with my sick twisted mind, sometimes I can't resist a little bit of sadness and emotion to write about.
Love M x