{One} From the cold

The screeching sound of my alarm wakes me up in an instant. I slam my hand on the off button and sit straight in my bed. Friday, who doesn't love Fridays? In this case it's the last day of school, and then I have a two week break. Not that I'm going to do much, but hey, it's better then school, especially when every day feels like living hell.

I swing my legs over my bed and I place my feet on the cold ground. I look at myself in the mirror, which is straight ahead of me. I look like crap. My brown hair is a complete mess, and the bags under my eyes aren't any better.

I stand up and walk to the bathroom, and turn on the water. I splash some water in my face and rub my eyes clean. I look at myself again. Bruises cover my shoulders and my lower stomach. They look like fingers. I sigh and grab my makeup bag. First I apply my daily makeup to my face, and then I use some to cover my arms and stomach. When I'm done I walk back to my room to grab some blue jeans, which are not ripped like the jeans of the rest of the girls at school. And I grab a black body shirt, which looks more like a blouse actually. I put on white sneakers and head back to the bathroom.

"Theodora! Come down here this instant!" My mothers voice sounds harsh and full of anger. What have I done now? I turn around I walk downstairs and prepare myself for lots of screaming, but instead I find myself in front of a cake. A birthday cake.

"Happy birthday Teddy." My father says with a smile. I raise my eyebrows. Never ever have they given me a cake for my birthday. Mostly it was just money which I'd spend on books.

"Come on, blow the candles out and make a wish." My mother says with a smile.

"Okay what's going on?" I ask. This is suspicious and totally not normal. My mother sighs and looks to my dad.

"Well, since you're a grown woman now-"

"I'm seventeen."

"Since you're a grown woman now we've decided you're going to live with your grandmother." My dad tells me. I'm certain I look confused because they both shoot pitiful looks my way.

"I have a grandmother?" I ask. They both nod. My mother walks to the kitchen and grabs her big mug of coffee. With probably some whisky cream in there.

"Yes you do." My mother chuckles and she takes a big sip of the coffee. "You don't know her, hell I don't even know her. She's more like a Steph-grandmother. Married my dad when my mother passed away when I was only four. Addicted to alcohol and drugs." So the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

"I'ver never seen her after I ran away with your dad here. But now when school reached out to her I know where she lives and surprise! You're going to live with her.

"And because you're going to live with your grandmother we kicked you out of school." My dad finished with a proud but cruel smile. Yes! No! I'm almost finished and then I'd have a diploma!

"The cake is just to make you feel a little better. So come on now dear, make a wish and blow out the candles." I close my eyes for a second as my mother finishes her sentence with a sip of her mug. I blow out the candles and open my eyes. All candles are off.

"What did ya wish?" My dad leans over the wooden table. I grab my phone and stand up.

"That I'm gone from this wretched world." I say as I hurry up the stairs. I hear my mother screaming my name, but I ignore it. I don't know this Steph-grandmother, or whatever her name is, but I'm certain that I'm going to live with her, and that it's going to be a thousand times better then here, then this city.

____

Only an hour later I'm standing downstairs again, a bag with my clothes and my stuff packed. The woman who I called mother for the past seventeen years stands before me.

"You're exited, look Dan she's exited we've done a good job once again!" My dad, or Dan, joins my mother.

"I see Mary. Aren't we great parents?" I roll my eyes and I turn to the front door.

"What did you do there?" My mother grabs my shoulder and turns me around. I hiss in pain as her cat-like nails dig into my skin.

"Nothing, can I go now?" My mother, Mary, gives me one last squeeze.

"Off ya go. Taxi is waiting for ya." I open the door and grab my jacket at the same time.

"Bye honey! We won't miss you!" Mary screams as she slams the door. I look to the taxi, and I see an old man sitting behind the steering wheel.

"And I certainly won't miss you either." I open the back of the taxi and I swing my bag in. I head to the passengers door and open it.

"I already know the address, get in." The old man speaks without looking at me. I look a bit shocked and take a seat.

I hold my phone close to me, in case something happens.

"Where are we going?" The old man starts the car and drives out of the dark street. The street where I spend years in horror, and fear.

"I can't tell you, you'll see." He says with a Scottish accent. I nod and look straight forward, because I'm done looking back. I'll let this wash over me. Worse then the past seventeen years is impossible, right?