Nine

It was well into the dark hours of night and all but one person of the group slept, and that was Geralt. However, even as he remained vigilant for anything that threatened the safety of those he was watching over, He turned his head to Ava who had begun to whimper. He looked to her, wondering what the cause of her whimpering was but something told him that whatever it may be, had it's reasons. When she let out a whimper of pain, he understood that she was having a nightmare and went to sit beside her, pulling her head onto his lap and gently he combed his fingers through her fur causing a sigh to escape the young wolf-like woman.

*******

Ava tucked her tail against her stomach, feeling as a small pup against this pitch black wolf with an almost red eye as it glared her down, it's face only half facing her. "Face it, they will all betray you in the end. And where will you end up? On the run again."

"Leave....leave me alone, your not real!" Ava whimpered as the larger wolf snarled.

When it spoke again it's fangs remained bared, "Your mother died because you are weak, the same will go for all those around you! So long as you live, you will always be too weak to protect those you care most about. You will always be WEAK!" It snarled as it turned to face her fully revealing it's other eye to be her own blue eye staring back at her. Ava whimpered again, closing her eyes against this monster before her, until through her subconscious she felt a hand combing through her fur, unknowingly spreading love and warmth. Ava watched the black monster growl and run away as she felt the protective embrace of the only man who had helped her through her darkest time: the comfort of Geralt. The black monster charged her but just as it had reappeared so too did a huge pure White Wolf come to protect her. It's power was greater then that of the black monster wolf and the monster was quickly abolished as the white wolf lay in a protective circle around Ava, who sighed happily as her eyes dropped closed.

"Never forget Ava, I may not show it but I love you as much as I do Ciri." The white wolf spoke, "I will do everything I can to keep you safe." The white wolf smiled slightly as the pup version of Ava fell fast asleep.

******

Geralt opened his eyes, Now I know the truth. She's afraid of being abandoned...of not being strong enough to protect those she loves. He studied the black she-wolf and smiled to himself. "You never need to fear being alone again Ava. Not while I live." Geralt promised to her sleeping form, making sure to run his hand along her fur as continued reassurance. Later on after the sun had rose Ava traveled alongside Geralt and the others until an odd scent caught her attention, she lowered her muzzle to the ground and sniffed in the scent, until it caused her hackles to rise, she bared her teeth and looked in the direction the scent was retreating in, "Ava?" Geralt asked but Ava remained her position silent snarls slowly growing louder as whatever approched made itself known through noises in the forest. 

"BEAR!" Ciri called out as the creature charged them, Ava leapt forward to distract the creature as Geralt, Ciri and Ava's father prepared to aid in attacking the large creature. Trish and Yennifer began to cast spells as Ava ran around the bear. She dodged a swipe and snarled as Geralt struck the bear causing it to roar in pain. Everyone worked together to being down the creature and within a few minutes the bear lay dead at their feet. Ava lay down panting and huffed a sigh, she tried to stand and yelped in pain when her left front leg would not hold her weight. She lay back down with ears folded back and whimpered. Dethis looked over at her and saw the reason why she had not come closer to them. They decided that it would be wise to take a break and eat something while Geralt attempted to heal Ava's leg. Ava lay still listening to everything around her but by the time Ava's leg was healed the night had come and rest was needed.

Ava watched as everyone except Ciri, who volunteered to keep watch, went to sleep but even Ciri I could not hear Ava as she stood and slipped away into the shadows. As Ava walked she found herself being accompanied by a Raven who landed on her back but the bird remained with her as she created more distance between the encampment and herself. Ava stopped for a moment and looked back towards the encampment to see one person watching her. I cannot stay with them; not only will I slow them down, I also put them in danger. I'm sorry Father, Geralt, Yenn.... I must go now. With that silent apology Ava then turned and leapt into to a full blown run, causing the Raven to complain and take flight. As she ran more and more distance was put between her and those she loved, until by sunrise, her trail was cold.