Two

Ava shook her dark fur out and snorted with a huff. The collar she wore now was black leather with short metal spikes and even though Ciri had protested and protested, Ava was glad that Geralt, the Witcher whom she now started calling by name, had listened to her request and had gotten her an appropriate collar. They had discussed it for most of the night and it was decided that Ava would act as Geralt's 'companion dog' while they traveled through the city to stop by the Ducal Palace, to get Ava a pardon.

Ava walked calmly beside Geralt's horse, Roach, and Geralt mostly talked to himself. Ava stopped walking for a moment as they drew near the city, "Ava?" Geralt asked as she looked to him. She snorted and they continued on; when they reached the gates leading into the city, Geralt dismounted and lead Roach to the stables. Ava sat outside of the building waiting for the Witcher to return when a scent caught her attention as another wolf like canine came up. Geralt came out and noted the hunter from the other night racing up as Ava and Midnight faced off with fangs bared, hackles raised, and tails high above their heads. "That wolf. That was the creature you were hired to kill." He snapped at Geralt as he raised his crossbow and pointed it at Ava.

"She is no beast. Ava has humanity and she is coming with me to gain the Duchess's pardon."

"Then why is she wearing a collar?"

"She freely choses to. So long as she wears that collar she is under my protection and is my companion." He spoke as he held back the urge to go for a sword. He walked up to be beside Ava and the hunter along with his pet backed off. He touched Ava and she looked to him but she relaxed and sat down. It was at that moment that someone came walking up.

"Geralt!" The surprise in the voice had everyone looking to see an armored man walking up. "The Duchess had informed me that you were coming and I see you are not alone." He motioned towards the three others one of whom folded her ears back with a very unamused expression. "Wait is that?" the man looked to the unamused wolf, who recognized him at the same time as he recognized her.

Damien! Ava thought to herself as she rushed towards him tail wagging non-stop as she stood up on her hind legs, her front paws were upon his shoulder and she accidently knocked him down but ended up licking him over and over with whimpers and whines sounding from her.

The whole time the bald head man laughed as he finally managed to embrace the puppy like wolf and pinned her to his chest. "Shavah! Oh my little pup! It has been three years since I last saw you!"

"You two know each other?"

Damien was finally allowed to stand as Ava continued to wag her tail and scoot closet while nudging his hand. "I am her godfather. Her mother was a good friend of mine and upon Shavah's birth I was named her god-father. She grew up around Toussant and on my days off I made it important to see her." The man hugged the she-wolf who nipped at his armor. "But come the Duchess awaits to pardon Shavah and we all know how she is when kept waiting." He smiled as Geralt followed the man along with Ava, leaving the Hunter and his pet behind.

----------

Upon entering the Ducal Palace, Ava remained as a wolf to keep people from looking at her with venom, but Geralt was not spared from their glares. Ava slowed her pace somes to be at his side and the next person to shoot a dirty look their way ended up seeing a flash of pearly white fangs, when they arrived at the place where they would meet the Duchess, Ava stopped and both men looked to her. "Ava?" Geralt asked as she folded her ears back and tucked her tail with a low whine, her golden eyes showing fear at meeting the Duchess.

"You are afraid that she will not pardon you?" But Ava shook her head with another whimper until Geralt walked over and leaned down next to her. He petted her head and she allowed it for the time being.

"No, something else is bothering her." Geralt's touch was gentle as he calmed the she-wolf. "You can stay at my side while the meeting is going on." He promised her but that did little to calm her warring fears. She let him pet her a few more times then they continued on. As they walked into the sight of the Duchess Ava folded her ears back but the voice of the young woman before them surprised the she-wolf. "Master Witcher and who is the wolf beside you?"

"Duchess Anna Henrietta, this is Ava. She remains in wolf form for her own reasons." Geralt spoke as the duchess looked to the she-wolf.

"You mean this wolf is former Lady Shavah? It is a pleasure to meet you even if you must be in wolf form." the Duchess spoke, as Ava folded her ears back then let them go forward. Her attention was half to the Duchess and half elsewhere, being as a wolf had it perks and disadvantages. She was aware of her unusual speed, agility and stamina but she was also aware of being weak against certain Witcher Signs, ingredients, oils and potions. Ava just hoped that she could remain on Geralt's good side to avoid those things; as she looked around, she heard the three speaking but soon she lowered her nose to the ground and sniffed for the strange scent that had caught her attention. She looked straight up and a growl escaped her, causing everyone to look to her then upwards as she lunged towards the Duchess, throwing the woman out of the way of the creature that now landed ontop of the she-wolf. Ava felt sharp teeth dig into her throat and let out a loud yelp that echoed as her named was called out by Geralt.

-----------

"AVA!" Geralt watched with wide eyes as the wolf yelped in pain. When the wolf was dropped the creature revealed itself to be a female vampire. "A Bruxa!" Geralt prepared himself and downed a Black Blood potion incase the vampire tried to bite him. He lunged with his Silver sword and the long, drawn out fight began. As the fight began drawing to a close he noted movement from Ava and pulled back.

The Bruxa smiled as she believed the fight to be her's but before she could lunge at the Witcher, a snarling roar echoed and she felt long incisors dig into her throat. A snapping sound was heard as Ava dragged the vampire down to the ground, but then she reared up with the vamp still in her vice like grip and threw the Bruxa across the room. Ava's fangs were bared as she drew her lips back in a most demonic snarl and her jaws sperated the blood of the vampiress dripping from them, her tail and hackles rose and a loud snarl ripped through her unhinged jaws. As several snarls tore forth from her throat, the Bruxa stood and hissed at the large wolf. Ava lunged at the vamp, her jaws snapping at the face of the creature; with all of Ava's weight upon the creature they went sailing over the edge of the balcony as Geralt, along with Anna and Damien, went to see what happened to the two. "SHAVAH!" Damien called out hoping for some response but not a sound was made.

"Come with me!" The Duchess spoke as they rushed to the nearby stairs. "We were not to high up so the fall shouldn't have caused to much damage." When they reached the bottom of the stairs they looked around until snaps, snarls and hissing could be heard. They raced to the sounds just as Ava yelped again and went sliding across the ground, rolling as she went.