Prologue

I can still see the flames... Burning so brightly in the darkness of the night... Everyone is gone... Everyone is dead... Their screams haunt my every waking hour... But it's the gazes that make my Nightmares seem so real... I am Ava, and this is my journal of my hunt for my destiny, my parents and I know you are hunting me, Geralt. If you find this, then know that I will not make this hunt easy for you. I am no monster, just a female looking for answers...

--------

The journal was closed softly and with such care that one would never think it had been written in in the first place, but the writing utensil was askew signalling that this was where the woman named Ava had once been. The golden eyes of the man scanned the area for any trace of his quarry, but the only signs where minute and useless. She had been careful to cover her tracks for the most part, but he leaned down and scooped up something from the ground and walked over to the light to see it properly. It was a necklace, crafted with such care that the man wondered if she had noticed that she was not wearing it.

"Geralt! I found a trace of the woman! Midnight* is losing her mind from the scent!"

The man clasped his hand around the little amulet and looked out the window, "Seems your time is up Ava." His gruff voice echoed in the silence as a mixture of snarls and wolf like howls escaped the canine at the edge of the woods. "I will not stop until I have seen to you." He turned and left the room, the wind created by him snuffing out the candle that had been lit.

*******
*Midnight: a black wolf-dog hybrid. She is based off of Blue from Wolf's Rain. Blue was a loyal dog owned by a man named Quent, and only through a female named Cheza did she discover that she was half-dog, half-wolf and thusly she eventually allowed the wolf-side of herself gain control, though moments of her loyal dog-side still show through.