Chapter 35

December 25

It is winter break and Jinsu is still in Juve until the hearing which is scheduled for late January. Jinsu found a lawyer and has still not admitted guilty. 

"I swear to god I didn't do it," he claims as he sits with Detective Sherman. 

"I don't believe you, Justin said that you threatened him. Saying that you were going to get revenge on him." 

"Yeah but not kill his girlfriend! I don't even own a gun nor am I capable of killing someone."

Justin sits with Caitlin under her Christmas tree.

 "Do you still believe in god?" he asks her. 

"Yeah, do you?" she asks. The room is lightly lit, the fireplace lights up their faces. 

"Not anymore, I just can't believe that losing Selena was for my own good," he says. Caitlin shakes her head. She has a cross necklace on that she got when she was little. She has always been a firm believer in god. Her mom is a catholic and she always goes to church on sundays.

"Sometimes terrible things happen and I don't believe that god has control over everything that happens. But that he has a plan to guide us through our troubles." he smirks. 

"That's a load of bull," he says. "If anything, losing Selena has ruined me and as far as I can tell god doesn't want to help me," he snaps. 

"Death doesn't change us. It reveals us." Justin looks her in the eyes. He knows she is right. 

"Why do you always have to be right," he chuckles. She laughs.

 "I'm not always right."

"Yeah, you are," he says as he reaches his face closer to hers. 

"I'm wrong about one thing," she says.

 "What is that?" he asks. 

"This," she whispers as she kisses his lips. He continues to kiss her. 

"This is so wrong," he whispers. 

"Do you want to stop?" she asks. 

"No," he says as he starts kissing down her neck. 

"I'm going to need to let go sometime," he says as he goes back up to her lips. She tugs at his shirt and pulls it off. She lays on top of him, running a hand down his abs. He grabs her face and kisses her lips as he starts to remove her shirt. In that moment, all is forgotten. And they are just normal teenagers again that were forced to grow up too fast.

Demi and Ashley are hanging out. They have been spending more time with each other since Caitlin has been with Justin.

 "Everything is so different now," Demi says. Ashley nods. 

"Justin and Caitlin are now BFFs, Olivia is now a slut, everything is so different. I haven't spoken to Caitlin in forever, and yet we used to never go a day without talking. The core group has now broken apart. How did this happen?" Ashley sits next to Demi, who sits by the window. Ashley looks to her then opens her mouth. 

"I don't know. It's really has reminded me how screwed up the world is. Innocent people are killed everyday and we just go on like nothing happened. And teachers expect us to focus on school work when there is a killer out there. Waiting to find his next victim. I can't do this," she says. Tears fall down her face.

 "This world will find a way to break everyone." Demi looks at Ashley, and for the first time, she really sees how broken her friend is. The normally loud, confident, and giddy girl had changed, and not for the better. She had become scared. She had lost herself somewhere along the way in this labyrinth. She was no longer innocent, none of them were. They now knew of the dangers of the world, and of themselves. They now knew what their species was capable of. They knew of the corruption that lurked in every human being.