Chapter 11

Warning: The next two chapters may break your heart. Please vote and comment after reading. 

Chapter 11

Board and advisory board members had met a few weeks after the board training for a special meeting called by Board President, June Baker. 

June was a tall, shapely woman with a honey brown complexion.  She carried herself in a stately manner befitting royalty.  The members joked that she probably slept in her high heels, since no one could remember ever seeing her in flats, tennis shoes, or low heels.  For that matter, no one had seen her wear the same shoes twice.  A buyer for Macy’s, she often traveled and purchased her extensive wardrobe from many areas of the world. 

June had a passion for victims of domestic violence after losing her niece, whose husband had killed her and then himself.  Heartbroken because her family had not recognized the signs of abuse and provided intervention, June determined that she would become part of a program helping other battered women.  She saw Irene on television as part of a panel discussing domestic violence following the death of a woman and her two children at the hands of a jealous boyfriend.  June had written down the telephone number for A Sister’s Place and called the next day to volunteer.  She staffed the phones, answering hot line calls from women fleeing violence in their homes.  It broke her heart to refuse shelter to a caller because their 24 beds were full.

June was speaking to a woman early one Sunday morning, giving her telephone numbers for other shelters, when she heard a booming voice demanding to know who the caller was talking to.  The man took the phone and began to yell and curse at June, who could hear the woman crying in the background.  She didn’t respond to any of the insults and finally he said, “Well, you don’t have to say anything, but you can sit there and listen to me kick her stupid ass.  I run this mother, and I’m going to show her who is the boss.”

June could hear the blows and hear the woman’s cries that soon turned to screams. She left the phone line open while she called 911 on a cell phone to get help for the victim.  As evidence of that person’s need for an immediate response, June put the hotline phone up to her cell phone and let the operator hear the beating the woman was receiving.  It was difficult to listen to, but June remained on the line until she heard the door bell ringing and banging on the door as police demanded entrance.  She heard a police officer call for an ambulance before the line went dead.

After that incident, June felt she had to do more.  She determined that A Sister’s Place needed more space, more beds, more everything.  That day she knew she could help much more as a board member to raise funds for major expansion.  She joined the Board of Directors and the next year, when the current president had a job transfer to Huntsville, Alabama, June was elected President, based on her hard work and vision.

One year later, June had called an emergency meeting at the Normandy library located near the shelter.  Irene arrived, restless after a night of worrying about whether June or anyone else was resigning from the board.  She was pleased with the fundraising so far.  Over a third of the nine hundred thousand dollars needed had already been raised.  Currently, a concert featuring Jill Scott was in the works and everyone was encouraged and pleased with the job June was doing.  Her energy was contagious and she had learned early to tap into Jeff’s contacts and resources.

June arrived close to the noon meeting time.  Three executive board members were still missing, but June explained that they were waiting for everyone at another location and would we all come with her.  She asked to drive Irene’s van and the members got in.  They pulled out of the lot and turned left into Natural Bridge Road traffic.  She continued east to New Florissant Road and moved into the left turn lane.  After the turn, Irene watched as familiar sites were passed, including St. Vincent’s, which provided a program for homeless families.  She recognized the animal hospital on her left where Oso went for his shots and tests.  As she looked at the hospital, June slowed and turned into a gated property on a hill just beyond the animal hospital.  Irene had passed this property many times and admired it.  She often wondered who lived in the house on the hill surrounded by black iron gates.   From the road she could see the trees that lined the property on that side. More trees were located on the spacious lawn.  June pulled to the back of the property where there were several parking spaces in front of a walkway leading to a door.  Beyond the parking spaces, the driveway continued to circle the house.  As they walked to the door, Irene saw the rear ends of two cars.  There was something familiar about the cars, she thought, when the door opened and they were greeted by the owner of one of the cars. A black Cadillac Escalade.