Charter 15

Chapter 15

Jeff had spent a restless evening at the open house. The house looked amazing but his joy was incomplete because he could not share the evening with Irene. He had spoken to Grace three times during the evening and each time she was concerned about how Irene was grieving. She admitted to never seeing her mother this distraught including when Grace’s father had died. She said Irene would wake up for a little while then cry herself asleep again. The only substance she had taken all day was half a cup of tea.  Jeff asked Grace if he could come over after the open house and sit with her for a while. She was very grateful and he promised to see her as soon as possible.

The open house was followed by a quick meeting. Jeff left within minutes of the meeting ending. He stopped at the store and picked up ingredients for his famous chicken noodle soup. Arriving at the house, he found Grace very stressed. He told her he would sit with Irene then cook a pot of soup. She gave him a big hug then retired to her old room.

Jeff went into Irene’s room. He folded a garment on the floor and another on a chair then sat down. His eyes adjusted to the dim light and he surveyed his surroundings. The room was feminine and reflected Irene. There was a jasmine fragrance that seemed to float in the atmosphere. The colors were mauve and crème. She had beautiful black art in large gold frames showing pictures of women and families. He counted more than six pillows on her bed in king and regular size.

The chair was very comfortable and he tried to settle down. This was a major challenge. He felt helpless listening to the occasional whimpering sounds she would utter. His heart wanted him to hold her very close and assure her she was going to be okay. Assure her he would help her be okay. He ached to hold her for any reason and especially now while her heart was broken. He closed his eyes and rested in the chair. He wondered how long it would take to move from this friendship phase of their relationship. He enjoyed their occasional outings but was careful to take his cues from her.

Last week they attended a benefit for Children At Risk and after dinner a band played. She seemed to hesitate when he asked her to dance but relented. Fly Me to the Moon was playing and she went into his arms and seemed to relax after a few minutes. After the second song ended, she took his hand then returned to their table. She was quiet the rest of the evening. At her door, she asked him not to see her in and promised to call later. The call did not come until the next evening and did not last very long.

Tonight Jeff had planned to tell Irene how he felt and ask what it would take to move their relationship to another level. He was not yet ready to discuss marriage but knew he wanted to marry her. He had been thinking about a ring for Christmas. Watching her asleep and feeling her pain, Christmas felt too far away. Now he just wanted to be the person she relied on during this crisis.

Irene started to toss on the bed. Soon she was whimpering softly. Without thinking, Jeff removed his jacket then lies next to her and put his arm around her waist. She continued to cry for a few minutes. As he started to rub her arms, she sighed deeply and dozed again. It was not a deep sleep and she would cry softly.

Jeff tried to relax but the fragrance of her perfume was in his nose. She was in his arms, head and heart. His eyes were looking at her body wearing a leopard bra and slacks. When his mind started to wonder if the underwear matched the bra he knew he had to leave her bed. He gently kissed her hair then moved back to the chair. He replaced his jacket and fell quietly asleep with his emotions in great turmoil.