Chapter 37

Chapter 37

I have let Oso in and checked doors. The news is on when my landline rings. I see it is Jeff and let it continue to ring. It is late and I am tired but I promise myself I am going to call him tomorrow. We tell the kids all the time to use their words when they are angry or frustrated instead of acting out so I am going to follow this same advice. Tomorrow I am going to use my words. I don’t know what to say now but tomorrow is a new day.  Tomorrow I can…

My cell phone rings interrupting my thoughts. Why not tonight I think picking up the phone without identifying the caller.

          “Miss Irene this is Jackie Towns. Forgive me for calling so late but I need to talk to you about a very personal matter.”

          “How did you get my number Ms. Towns?” I ask surprised and thinking we are not in high school and I won’t play games with this young woman.

“Please call me Jackie. I got your number from your business card your daughter was kind enough to give me.”

“It’s late Jackie and I have an early day. Can we cut to the chase?”

“Yes ma’am. I’m a real estate broker. I am working with Jeff to market and sell his Lindell property. He is thinking about getting married and wants to sell. I’m kind of nosey which helps in my business. Anyway, I figured out he is planning to marry you so I wanted to know if you have a house you need to sell too? I could sell your house and help you both find another property when the time comes. Please.” She said without seeming to take a breath.

“You have been at his house because you are trying to sell his property?”

“Yes Ma’am. Look I can call tomorrow and make an appointment to look at your house and do a marketing analysis.”

          I am quiet for a few seconds not sure what to say. I feel foolish and worried. Jeffery has not called for a few days until tonight. Maybe she is right about why he wants to sell the property but wrong about who he wants to marry.

“Hello Miss Jefferson?”

“Yes Jackie. Let me call you tomorrow…But my bell is ringing now. Good-bye.

Oso jumps up and runs to the door making little bark-like noises. At the door he sniffs and wags his tail.

“Irene,” Jeff calls from the other side of the door. “Baby, can I talk to you for just a few minutes?”

I start to open the door then remember my satin bonnet.  Rushing back down the hall to my bathroom mirror, I remove the bonnet, fluff my curls then apply lip gloss. The bell starts to ring again, a very long and insistent ring.

I open the door then step back to allow entrance. Jeffery closes and leans against the door as Oso jumps all over his legs. Without taking his eyes from mine, Jeffery leans down and pats Oso’s head which only encourages him to jump more.

“Go sit Oso” I command and walk to the kitchen and take a seat. Jeffery follows but stands against the kitchen wall. He stands back in his legs while folding his arms across his chest seeming to be deep in thought.

“Irene, I am so sorry. I had a client go to prison years ago for a crime I never believed he committed. He got life without the possibility of parole.   I never gave up and we have gotten a retrial date. With my other cases it was more than I can handle. I have hired two attorneys because I was stretched to my limits. I am also looking for larger space for my office. My unit may be on the market as early as next month. I have new staff and Summers Investigations will share a space with us.