inevitable encounters // matty

🌸 via noshi191 on ao3 !!

🌼 go read angelic if you haven't yet and pls get it to 600 reads !! (ps I'm updating it this week and I wanna shoot for 1k reads next week so pls pls make that happen cause ur all absolute dolls xx)

//

The day had been wasted away, the night creeped in. I had done nothing but play my new guitar today. She was a Fender Stratocaster in the prettiest shade of blue. That shade of blue that’s got a dab of green in it to make it a warmer tone. She felt like butter in my hands and sounded like a harmony of angels. And she filled my day with beautiful music.

Once seven hit though, I figured I’d hit the town. I was new to New York. I wasn’t more than a few hours away from my home state Delaware, but this place was new to me. A whole new scene to leave a mark on. No one knew who I was here, I had the chance to be anything I wanted to be. That’s if I wanted to be something else though.

I set my baby in her case and gathered my things to wander about the city. Though it was dark, the streets would be even more alive. I locked up my tiny flat and flowed with the pour of people in the street. Music blared from the many clubs, you could feel the bass a block away. It thudded in your chest like a foreign heartbeat. But I wasn’t out to go clubbing tonight, I was out to simply explore.

It wasn’t long before I came across the little park that resided in my neck of the city. The soft tones of an acoustic guitar danced about the air, drawing in anyone who was willing to listen. The lights of the walkway lit the path to the mystery guitarist. A young man who looked to be in his mid twenties. He was handsome; a fine five o’clock shadow lined his chin and curly hair topped his head.

I sat on the bench across from him, getting comfortable. The way his fingers landed each note perfectly on the neck of his acoustic Fender created a beautiful tone. He was playing an acoustic version of Girls by The 1975. I started to sing along to the song once I found where he was at. I took the chance to get a better look at his face when he glanced up at me and it was none other than Matty Healy himself.

“Louder.” He said as his fingers never faltered. His voice caught me off guard. I didn’t think he would speak to me, but I did as I was told. I grew louder, singing to my heart's content. When the chorus came, the young man sang along with me. We caught the attention of the few people that wandered the park, a stray compliment here or there; wow their voices give me chills , they’re so good , I wish I could sing like that . We closed the song and a few people in the distance clapped.

“You’re really good.” He set his acoustic in the case that occupied the rest of his bench.

“T-thank you.” I pushed my glasses up as they had managed to slide down my nose in the midst of our little show.

“Thanks. My name’s Matty, but I guess you already knew that.” He gave me a cheeky smile.

“Y/N, pleasure to meet you.” I tilted my head to the side and gave a sheepish smile, my cheeks flushing a shade of pink.

“Pleasure’s all mine, love. So Miss Y/N, I’m just gonna throw it out there, would you like to join me for dinner? My treat.” My smile spread even further, my eyebrows raised.

“S-sure, dinner sounds wonderful.” He zipped his case shut with a quick but quiet whirr and slung it over his shoulder.

“I know the perfect restaurant. Quite posh.”