Chapter 5: Yay, A C-Rank Mission!...Wait...It's A Drunk?

Naruto frowned as heard listened to their first mission's contents. "Why do we have to do D-ranks first? I want a C-rank, Jiji. Please." She set up her pleading face, but Hiruzen was not fazed. "Listen Naruto. You're all fresh graduates from the Academy. C-ranks are too dangerous just yet."

Naruto frowned. "I thought we have to do a number of D-ranks to get a C-rank."

Iruka sighed in relief that Naruto understood. "Yes, Naruto. A team has to complete 35 D-ranks before they can get a C-rank."

Naruto eyed the D-rank scroll on the Hokage's table. "In that case, 35 D-ranks please."

The rest of her team, including her sensei went slack-jawed. "Oi! Naruto! We can't finish all that!"

Naruto rolled his eyes. "No, Sakura. You can't finish it. I can. TAJUU KAGEBUSHIN NO JUTSU!"

Suddenly, the room was filled with about fifty Narutos. Everyone gaped at the sheer amount, and how Naruto didn't seem to be lacking of chakra despite it. "They can create more if needed. D-ranks are chores. I'll finish them all by the hour, and have some of them Henge as Kaka-sensei, Sakura and Sasuke. So, where are the missions?"

Kakashi sighed, head in his hand. "Naruto, the point of D-ranks are to help strengthen your teamwork."

"Kaka-sensei, they're chores that civilians are too lazy to do by themselves. They don't strengthen teamwork. They weaken our patience. Besides, it'll take too long to finish 35 D-ranks as a team instead of my kagebushins. Let's be real here. You never got that many D-rank missions when you were a Genin because of the war. That's why you're so strong. You had actual hands-on experience fighting, not weeding or babysitting."

Kakashi's eye twitched. Damn. She got him there. "Fine," relented both Kakashi and Hiruzen. Hiruzen as the Hokage ordered Kotetsu and Izumo (who were off gate guarding duty for the day) to get 34 more D-rank mission scrolls. They returned. Naruto split her kagebushins into 34 groups of four, and three of the four in each group henge-d into the other three members. Each 'Kakashi' was given a scroll. "Alright. Set off!"

"Yes Boss!" They ran off to complete their missions. 

The real Naruto turned to her real teammates. "Okay. We'll do the Tora mission, and when they all finish their missions, they'll report back. It should take two hours tops...unless there's a babysitting mission."

Kakashi took the Tora scroll. "I'm impressed, Naruto. You actually have excellent leadership skills."

"AWWW! Thanks Kaka-sensei! I love you too!" 

Hiruzen and Iruka sweat dropped as Team 7 left for the Tora mission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon reaching the forest where Tora was last seen, Naruto asked to take a leak and slipped away from the team. He bit his thumb and laid it on the ground. "Kuchiyose no Jutsu!"

A tiny white furred fox with a red stripe poofed into existence. His name was Fuyu (Japanese for Winter). "Naruto-sama," he greeted in a deep voice, brushing against the blonde's hand. "What do you need?"

"Fuyu. It's the dreaded Tora mission. Here's a ribbon of Tora's that the Hokage got from the owner. Can you sniff her out?"

Fuyu's snout twitched as he locked in the scent from the ribbon. "Yes. I have it."

"Good. Could you lead Tora to my team later? I can't act suspicious."

"Of course, Naruto-sama. You know my price of course."

"Yes."

Fuyu gave a foxy grin and ran off to get the damn demon cat.

Fuyu kept his word. Minutes after Naruto rejoined her team, Fuyu was chasing Tora towards the team, before disappearing the second Sasuke had hold of the escape cat. "Huh," Sasuke shrugged. "That was easy. Where'd that fox go?"

"Who knows," said Naruto innocently, whistling. "No. NO! Sasuke, get it away from me! Cats don't like me because of my tenant! Ow!"

Sasuke--without questioning what Naruto meant by tenant--smiled evilly as he held the cat closer to Naruto. Tora was scratching like crazy. "Well, let's report to the Hokage."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well then, congratulations, Team 7. No other team has ever completed 35 D-ranks in two hours before." The kagebushins disguised as Kakashi all piled up the completed scrolls. They poofed and disappeared as Naruto finished the pile with the Tora mission scroll.

Sakura beamed. "We did it, Sasuke-kun!"

Sasuke looked disgusted by the pinkette. "No. We didn't. Naruto did. And don't act all familiar with me." Naruto snickered. "Oh Sasuke! I love you too!"

Hiruzen smiled softly. This somehow reminded him of his own team, the Sannin, about five decades ago. Dear Kami, he was getting old. "As promised, your C-rank. Your mission is to escort someone."

"Yay! Who're we escorting?"

Hiruzen asked Kotetsu to bring in the guest. Team 7 wrinkled their nose at the strong scent of sake. An old man wearing a sleeveless v-neck with an obi, pants, a pair of sandals and a towel slung on his shoulder entered, a bottle of sake in one hand. "Ha? These brats are the ones escorting me? A bunch of little snot-nosed kids?" He took a swig off the bottle. "And you, the short one with an idiotic look on your face, you actually expect me to believe you're a ninja?"

Naruto filled her cheeks with air. She knew she was short. She couldn't help it. "Hey! I'm short because I haven't hit puberty yet! Besides, what do you mean idiotic look? I'm beautiful, dattebayo!"

Hiruzen sweatdropped. That almost sounded like something Kushina would say. 

"And as if you can say anything about how we look, old man. You're drunk! Don't drink in front of innocent children! What would your mother say?"

Again. That sounded way too much like Kushina. Naruto inherited way too many of Kushina's qualities. First ramen addiction, then the 'dattebayo', then manner of speech. Honestly. 

The old man glared sharply at Team 7. "I'm Tazuna, a master bridge-builder. I must return to my country. I'm building a bridge that could change our world, and I expect you to get me there safely, even if it means giving up your life."

Whoa. That seems really extreme for a C-rank.

You're right kit. Risking your life sounds like something for a B-rank or A-rank. Something's not right.

EH?! Well, whatever. I'm too lazy to walk all the way to the Land of Waves. Do you think Natsu would mind if she gave me a ride?

I don't see why not. So long as you pay the designated price. 

Yeah. True.

"So when do we leave?" Naruto asked excitedly. "I can't wait! It's my first time leaving the village!"

Kakashi hummed thoughtfully. "Well then, everyone meet up at the main gates at 3. I'll see you there."

"Are you going to be late again, Kaka-sensei?"

"No, no. This is a mission after all."

"YAY!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Naruto was beaming as she packed all of the food she cooked and sealed them into her scrolls, along with her tent, clothes, weapons, and other supplies. She placed it in her waist pouch and finished setting up the seals on her house in case any of the villagers decided to burn it down or something. 

She grinned.

Ready, Kyuu?

Ready, kit.

A/N: Hint 4: Memories