23. Comfort Zone

Stephen's POV

After Giselle explained to me what happened, I couldn't really wrap my mind around why they were blaming her as if it was her fault that she was adopted and that no one told her. It seems like Giselle was always hurting in some type of way and I was tired of seeing my wife upset all of the time. It just seemed as if it was one thing after another ever since we got married. I just don't understand her parents and I was really surprised that her dad said he wasn't going to pay to put her through school anymore, I know for a fact that hurt Giselle the most because that's a stepping stone to making her dream happen.

"Don't even worry about it baby girl I'll pay for everything. You know that what is mine is yours and that I'll do absolutely anything to make sure that you accomplish your goals."

"Thanks, at least I can count on one person." She muttered while looking defeated. I guess we would be making a trip to In and Out since that's what I promised her if things went sour. But who knew that they would be this sour.

"I just think that they could have went about it in a different way, but the best thing to do is to prove that you don't need them in order for you to be successful."

"I wish it was that easy."

"But it is. And I know the perfect way for you to start."

"How?" Giselle asked curiously.

"Release your mixtape." Just then she looked at me with wide eyes.

"Steph, I don't know."

"We're not going to know unless you take a chance and release it. What the worst that could happen?"

"People wouldn't like it."

"Okay, but I know for a fact that there are people who will like it. You need to stop living in your comfort zone. At one point in time, plenty of people thought that I would never make it to the NBA and be like my dad, but look what I'm doing now. I didn't let that stop me. People are going to talk, it's what they do and there's nothing that you can do to stop them."

"Okay, I'll look over it tomorrow and see if there's anything that I want to change and I'll release it."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

The rest of the ride home was met with silence and I knew that Giselle was simply taking everything in. I felt so bad for her but I knew that the best thing I could do was help her through it and encourage her to let her know that she was going to be successful no matter what it takes.

When we finally got home and got settled after a trip to In an Out like I had promised, Giselle had made herself comfortable in our room stretched out on the bed.

"I told my father that I wanted the other half of the team." She muttered while playing with her hair.

"Do you honestly think he's going to go for it?" I see that Giselle is trying to be independent, but I just don't think that her dad is going to give up his half.

"Probably not, but I'm not going to know unless I try."

"That's true."

"I'm making it up in my mind now no matter how difficult it may get, I am never running back to them for help. I'm an adult and I guess I should start acting like one. No matter how much I despise it."

"You say that like it's a bad thing babe."

"It's not a bad thing, but I feel like I'm still learning and there is a lot that I don't know."

"And that's why you have me" I replied while kissing her cheek.

"And now that I have you, I don't know what I would do without you either."