(2.44) Best Friends

"Well, look what the wind blew in." Were the first words from Damon's mouth when he saw the pretty brunette standing at the threshold. Eden scowled, crossing her arms.

"Can I come in?" Eden asked begrudgingly, the eldest Salvatore chuckled.

"Depends, is Little Gilbert going to have to invite you in or are you asking to just be nice?" Eden rolled her eyes, pushing past the vampire and into the house. She heard the door shut behind her, and she looked around, checking for any type of change in scenery.

"Not much has changed since I left I'm seeing." Eden remarked coolly. Damon walked past her, going to pour himself a drink before turning to offer the brunette one. Eden shook her head, looking toward the lit fireplace.

"Actually a lot has changed. Ever since your psychopathic boyfriend left town, the body count has decreased significantly. The local cemetery was pretty ecstatic really, they were running out of plots for the locals." Eden hummed.

"Right, so I'm guessing that having a newborn vampire in your midst had nothing to do with the local body count?" Eden asked, catching Damon off guard slightly. Eden smirked, turning away from the vampire and taking a seat on the couch.

"I'm guessing you didn't think I knew about Elena's newfound immortality?" The brunette asked, a smug look on her face. Damon shrugged, downing his drink and picking up Eden's. 

"Please, I'd be more surprised if you didn't. The fact that Klaus hasn't even tried to make an appearance back here tells me that he must have found you." He took a small sip from his cup. "Can't say I took you for a New Orleans girl though." Eden shrugged, mimicking Damon's earlier motion.

"You don't really know me Damon." Eden murmured, to which Damon nodded.

"I guess that's true, although if I had known you were more fun, I might have picked you instead of Vicki." Eden narrowed her eyes at him.

"Does that appease you? Bragging about the fact that you killed my childhood bestfriend like it meant nothing to you?" Damon sat his glass down, coming around to face Eden as he sat on the couch opposite from her.

"That's because at the time it didn't. Though in retrospect if I had known how much you and Donovan would whine about her, I might have chosen someone else." Eden's hands clenched around her coat sleeves, and she had to take a breath before releasing them.

"I wonder a lot about how Elena could ever fall for someone like you." Eden mumbled. Damon snorted.

"And this is coming from the one who was secretly sleeping with Klaus Mikaelson?" Eden rolled her eyes, she wasn't surprised that Damon brought him up, and it surely wouldn't be the last time today that he was brought up either.

"Niklaus is faulted, but he's had a thousand years to explain the reason that he is as bad as he is. I'd imagine that if you went through the same thing he has, you'd have broken centuries ago." Eden remarked coolly. Damon snorted, standing back up to grab his drink.

"Whatever you say princess."

* * *

The rest of the day went agonizingly slow for Eden's comfort. Damon repeatedly left her alone so that he could torture Katherine in her final hours, she still had no word on what was going on with Matt, and she had to scavenge the kitchen for something even decent enough for her to eat as most of the house occupants were vampires. Though if she were being honest, she was happy that she was able to be back somewhere familiar, even if things hadn't gone the way she had exactly planned when she pictured their reunion.

At half past seven, Stefan and Elena came waltzing in the door, and after their brief reunion, Eden received a text from Rebekah, informing the girl that Matt was safe and was heading back to the Boarding House with Jeremy and Bonnie, and while Eden was excited, she was also extremely nervous to face her closest friend as she had yet to even tell any of them that she was expecting. Where would she even start? How could she tell any of them that she was pregnant with Klaus' child, and expect them to be okay with it?