48 | peacock

AFTER Lizzy left the hospital, she finally visited Illinois University. It seemed like ages ago that she and her mother were supposed to go on a tour of its campus. JJ joined them for it and they both fell in love with it—its luscious lawns and beautiful buildings, the faculty members and students. Lizzy especially loved its greenhouse, which overflowed with flourishing plants of various shades and sizes. JJ idolized the basketball courts, shiny and wooden, perfect for his basketball sneakers.

           Along with the tour of Illinois University, JJ and Lizzy went on a couple dates to some of JJ's favorite places—Strike! Bowling, Giordano's Pizza, Cool-o Gelato. They laughed and talked and simply relished in each other's company. Lizzy found herself smiling more and more and she was reminded of why she liked JJ in the first place.

           JJ kept dropping hints about a very special place he wanted to take her to and Lizzy's curiosity was almost unbearable. "I need to know," she begged him one day as they wandered down a nature preserve's trail. The sun was fragmented by trees' majestic branches and leaves, wildflowers sprouting from the cracks in the dark pavement.

           "I can't tell you," JJ insisted, clutching her hand in his tanned fingers. "It's a surprise."

           Lizzy made a face. "I don't necessarily want a surprise."

           "Well, too bad," JJ teased, pulling Lizzy to a stop in the middle of the trail. No one was in sight. He placed his hands on the small of her back and drew her close. "Let me just say that this place is very, very special to me and I hope it will be for you too."

           Sometimes Lizzy had to pinch herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming. Every moment with him felt like a dream—too good to be real. She rested her hands on his strong chest. "Okay. I trust you," she told him sincerely.

           He smiled a boyish smile and touched her nose with his. "Soon," he said before separating himself from the tangled web they had made and leading her along the path by the hand.

           Lizzy touched her lips, realizing that she had yearned (and expected) for him to kiss her. "You freaking tease."

           "You love me," JJ retorted with a wink.

           Lizzy's chest swelled, and she couldn't help but think that he might be right.

           Two days later, JJ drove up to Lizzy's hotel and waited for her in the lobby of Greenwick's golden lobby. He cast a glimpse at the pool area, smiling to himself. A few days ago, he partied there with Lauren to get his mind off Lizzy and his powerlessness. The elevator dinged open and Lizzy galloped to his side, pressing a kiss to his cheek.

           "What're you looking at?" Lizzy asked, facing the glass that peeked into the pool area. Now, JJ was consumed by faint reflections of himself and Lizzy. A grin found its way onto his face.

           "Us," he replied, soaking in their reflections one more before turning around to face her. "Let's go. I want to take you to the surprise today."

           "Okay," Lizzy squealed excitedly. They laced their fingers together and headed to his car.

           Lizzy adjusted her sunglasses and turned to JJ. "Where are we going?" she asked. They had already been traveling on the road for a few minutes. Chicago's skyline blurred in the distance, the Willis Tower's two spikes piercing the clouds.