24 | duck

Lizzy | JJ

           WHEN Lizzy arrived home that day, she immediately placed her heavy backpack next to her nightstand before revealing her phone from where it was lounging in her pocket. She needed to tell someone about Teagan's story—to be more accurate, Lizzy yearned to disclose it to JJ and see what his opinion was. After all, he had given her beneficial advice before when Lizzy required some assistance on what to do with Teagan and her broken heart.

           Guess what? Guess what guess what guess what

           What's up?

           You know my friend Teagan? And how she loves Mateo but he doesn't feel the same way toward her?

           That rings a bell.

           Apparently he showed up at her house last night completely wasted and he told her that he loved her.

            Damn.

           That's all you have to say?

           What else do you want me to say?

           I don't know. Just something. Do you think he really loves her?

           I doubt it. He might just be saying that to be nice.

           But he was drunk.

           So? Aren't he and Teagan best friends? She helped him out in a rough situation. He told her that he loved her. I don't see what the big deal is.

           Someone's in a sour mood today.

           Sorry. I had a rough day. People suck and so do the cops.

           ??????? Say what? Did you get in trouble with the police?

           Just a driving ticket lol. I accidently ran a red light.

           He's just doing his job. Someone has to keep crazy people like you in line.

           Wow, thanks. Your words make me feel real nice.

           Hey, now you can't yell at me when I'm sarcastic at you because you can be sarcastic right back. We're even now.

           Sure, let's go with that. I have to go to work. Text me later?

          Work? I thought you only worked in the summer.

           I'm helping out my dad today with some of his construction projects. He's got a lot on his plate right now.

           You're such a good son :) I better do homework anyway. Later, JJ!

           Bye, Lizzy!

           Lizzy turned off her phone and tucked it away under her pillow, extracting her homework from her backpack and heading straight to work.

           The next day, Lizzy found herself watering the rubicund roses in Once and Floral. Her fingers gently caressed the flower's delicate petals that whirled in a spiral starting from the center. Almost involuntarily, Lizzy leaned forward, catching a whiff of a rose's perfume like she was an outfielder snatching a flying baseball from the air. When the metallic watering can emptied, Lizzy refilled it with a nearby green hose that resembled a sly snake. Reece was discussing how to care for daffodils to a customer who carried a pot of the golden flowers in her arms. Much to Lizzy's frustration and dismay, Reece was taking his sweet time in moving on from her. She had to applaud him though; he had been serious about his desire for space and time—at least he was honest and true to himself. That was an attribute that Lizzy admired.