JJ shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "I'm not really in the partying mood."

           "For fuck's sake, JJ." Lauren's language and harshness made him flinch so she softened her next statement. "The police told you that don't want you to get involved. Sitting at home, doing nothing, isn't going to make you feel better—it's going to make you feel worse. Just have a drink at least and give yourself a break."

           JJ sunk in his seat. "Maybe I want to feel terrible. Maybe I want to feel worse than I already do."

           Concerned, Lauren shot him a look. "I hate seeing you like this."

           "Me too."

           "Do you want me to turn back around?"

           JJ didn't say anything for a few minutes; he didn't know what to do. Lauren was right about the police not letting him help especially since he was now more personally involved than before. The party might let the time fly by faster, but then again, each second that ticked by meant another moment Lizzy remained lost.

           "Alright, let's go to Greenwick," JJ finally agreed. "But I'm going to need some swim trunks first if we're using Greenwick's pool."

           Lauren's brilliant smile ushered fragments of hope into his weary, guilt-ridden self and it made him think that maybe she was right.

           As Lauren checked into the hotel, JJ wandered around the immaculate lobby, a new suitcase filled with an outfit and a swimsuit folded neatly inside. Before they arrived, Lauren took him shopping and the laughs they shared made him feel as if he was stepping into sunlight for the first time in the last week and a half.

           Clean lines and gold colors covered the lobby, giving an illusion of grandness and luxury. JJ knew it was faux gold lining the floor's tiles or simple golden sofa he could probably find cheap at a local store. It was incredible how something could look so rich and yet have no worth at all.

           Lauren nudged him out of his thoughts and gestured to the elevator where they climbed to the sixth floor. "You're 614 and I'm 616." Lauren handed him a keycard.

           "Don't be too loud," JJ joked, knowing that Lauren would try to find herself some one-night stand now that she was free from Mikey. "I like my sleep and I'd rather not imagine my best friend getting it on with some nasty guy."

           Lauren rolled her eyes. "I'm glad to see you're making jokes but I'd rather them not be at my expense."

           JJ laughed and gave her a small side hug. Already, he felt so much better. It was amazing what a trip outside his confining, lonely bedroom could do. He hadn't even realized how lonely it had been until now.

           "I'll meet you at the pool in ten," Lauren said before disappearing into her hotel room. JJ entered his own, the gold color scheme from the lobby leaking into his room. He flopped onto the white bedspread, which smelled of cleaning supplies and fresh starts.

           He met Lauren downstairs in plain navy swim trucks, lingering by the door. The party was full swing inside, but JJ didn't want to go in by himself. He felt more comfortable with her by his side as though her confidence and grace could soak into his own self-conscious skin.

           "Hey, JJ," she greeted, a striped bikini decorating her tan body that was toned from cheerleading.

           "Hey."