"There's a lot that I missed last night while I was sleeping in the bedroom after the fight. Teagan hinted at most of what happened and I'm here to tell you what you're doing because sometimes—let's face it, Mateo—you're as dumb as a rock," Lizzy began, throwing caution into the wind. Mateo was one of her best friends and she didn't need to tread on eggshells when she spoke with him. That was one thing she appreciated most about her friends: they allowed her to speak her mind.

           Mateo pursed his lips, his elbows resting on the table and his fingers laced together. Lizzy endeavored to meet his eyes but he refused to gaze at her. Lizzy reasoned that this must mean that Mateo felt guilty about last night's events. "Okay, that was a little harsh, but I know I deserve it," Mateo said.

           Lizzy wasn't sure how to continue. Maybe it was best to see what exactly he knew before laying all of her cards out on the table. "Are you aware that Paisley isn't the only girl that's into you, correct?"

           Mateo dipped his head even further toward his chest and away from Lizzy if that was even possible. A blush dashed his cheeks like he was adorned with makeup. "It's not a secret anymore, Lizzy. I know that Teagan likes me. She told me last night."

           Lizzy nodded in understanding. Now Teagan's salty tears and abrupt departure all made sense; the jigsaw of Paisley's party was finally stitching together to form a decipherable picture. "Alright, you know that much, but I don't think you fully understand what Teagan is going through right now. You're causing her one hell of a lot of pain, Mateo. Especially last night."

            Mateo's head snapped up, his flabbergasted eyes hurriedly meeting Lizzy's. "What do you mean? I mean, I know she hates me and all because I rejected her last night but I thought that she just needed to cool off a little especially when she stormed away with you. I thought that by helping her with Lucas last night, it would help us be friends again because I miss her. A lot. She'll get over me eventually. I'm not that great, let's be honest here."

           Lizzy slapped her forehead in frustration. Mateo could be so clueless sometimes especially when it came to girls. "I agree with you completely, dude: you're really not that great. But to Teagan, you're more than great. Can't you see? Last night when you saved her from Lucas, it only deepened her feelings for you. She thought you had the same feelings for her when you stepped in to rescue her, and that's why she told you how she felt. She doesn't want to be only friends and she didn't see your rescue mission as platonic. I brought her to the party last night to try to help her move on from you, but instead you brought her closer to you because you had to be the stupid, idiotic hero."

           Mateo tried to interrupt but Lizzy held her hand up to stop him from ruining her spiel. "I won't tell you how long, but Teagan has liked you for a little while and every time you talk about Paisley or friend zone her, you're killing her little by little. All I want is for you to be a teeny bit more observant Mateo and more considerate about other people's feelings. I'm not asking you to like her back—I want you and Paisley to be happy together, believe me—but it just sucks for Teagan for obvious reasons and it sucks for me because I have to watch her suffer. And you make her suffer a lot without meaning to, you and your completely innocent and nice intentions."

           Another silence swept over them and Paisley was sending worried glimpses from the booth where she had been abandoned by Mateo. "I didn't mean to hurt her," Mateo finally admitted at last.

           Lizzy reached over and touched his interlocked hands that were gradually whitening from how tight he was gripping them. "I know you didn't. Just don't act like you like her when, in reality, you don't. It gives her false hope and that shit hurts even more than rejection itself."