Her Dream

Author's POV
Meanwhile, back in the land of the living, Elizabeth was about to have the most bittersweet dream of her life.

"Goodnight. I'll see you all in the morning." She cheerily called out to her men.

Tired, but happy, Elizabeth flopped on her bed. Caspian's works in Aslan's Country left her in a great, yet curious mood. Not knowing who was doing the good deeds drive her nuts.

She smiles up at the ceiling as she falls asleep.

She wakes up in her bed in the castle. Confused, her brown eyes dart around the room.

"No...no, no, no. I was in the Dawn Treader!" She exclaims, sounding irritated, but actually scared. What if this was reality and the voyages a dream?

She calms down, and walks outside and downstairs to find her family, Jaforn and Reep, eating breakfast.

"Definitely dreaming." She tells herself.

"Yes you are." Caspian chuckles. She smiles, sitting between her parents.

"I'm so happy to see all of you!" She beams.

"And us you. Now, tell me about these grandchildren I have!" The late Queen Titania encourages. The small talk continued on for  a while as the group happily ate. Though the entire time, Elizabeth wondered why they were coming to her. Why now?

"Aslan sent us. This dream isn't entirely to make you happy." Caspian says.

"It's also intended to bring you to reality." Reep adds.

"I can't be in reality while in a dream." Elizabeth comments.

"He means when you wake up. Darling, you need to stop searching for a remedy for Caspian." Their father breaks the news to her.

"Wh-Why?" Elizabeth pries, shocked.

"It doesn't exist, and deep down, you know that too." Caspian answers.

"You need to go back to your kingdom. Just because you can't be a sister anymore doesn't mean you can't be a queen and mother. You need to take your duties back." Jaforn says.

"N-No...I can't!" She exclaims, tearing off to her room. Everyone looks expectantly at Caspian the Tenth, knowing he'll calm her down the quickest and easiest.

He leaves the room and jogs up the stairs to join Elizabeth. He finds a window opened in her room, and she sits on the roof outside it.

"You always loved sitting out here." Caspian states, climbing through the window to join her.

"It's got a nice breeze, a great view. Could you blame me?" Elizabeth points out, and he shakes his head.

She rests her head on his shoulder, and his arm wraps around her shoulder, and they just sit there.

"It isn't your fault. My death." Caspian says, breaking the silence.

"I know." Elizabeth confirms.

"Then why are you searching?" He pries.

"A lot of reasons. It gets my mind off the fact that you're gone, I'm not ready to be queen, and the kids miss you. I miss you." She explains.

"Take your mind off it back home. Teach archery with Su and Trumpkin, go ride Amber into the forest. And you are ready, you just doubt yourself. I know the kids miss me, but don't deprive them of their mother too."

"I...."

"Elizabeth Jewel, trust me. You can do this. It may not seem like it now, but you'll feel better afterwards."

"Ok. How much longer do I have? Til I wake up?"

"Ten minutes, or you could eat this." Caspian replies, holding out a pomegranate.

"I'm staying the full ten minutes." Elizabeth decides.

"You know...you can't be forced to move on, you have to choose to." He hints.

"You want me to eat this and end the best dream of my life sooner than it has to?" She retorts.

"Honestly, I don't want you to. I want to stay with you too. But I am suggesting it."

"Ok. I'm going to say goodbye first."

Hand in hand, the siblings joined their friends and family downstairs.

Crying, Elizabeth hugged and bid farewell to everyone, saving Caspian for last.

"I-I...I can't." Elizabeth stuttered suddenly, doubts rushing her mind.

"You can. Don't doubt yourself, ok? I know you can." Caspian the Tenth comforts.

"Can...Can you guys come see again?" She asks hopefully.

"I'm afraid this is a one time deal, Your Majesty." Reep replies with a sad smile.

"It's ok. We'll see you again." Jaforn comforts.

"Be strong, I know you can do it." Caspian the Ninth adds. Nodding with blurry eyes, Elizabeth pops the pomegranate seeds in her mouth, chewing the tart fruit.

Her eyelids fluttered open, looking at the ceiling in her room on the Dawn Treader. She knew what she had to do, but that knowledge left her in tears because it'll be the hardest thing she's ever done.