Chapter 19

These past three days have been very strenuous. And even though it was only three days, it was still called Finals Week. All of my classes required me to be able to do and memorize so much, it felt like my brain was going to explode. Once my forensic teacher announced, "congrats everyone! You all have just finished your last final of the year!", the heaviness of stress that I've been carrying on my shoulders for these three days has finally lifted.

Just as I was clearing my locker, the intercom goes on and the lady's voice from the office comes through. "Good afternoon Cougars! Congratulations on finishing another school year! I want to remind all those who are working at the resort next week Monday to make sure you have everything before you come and meet at the front of the resort at 9:00 a.m. You are then to report to your former first period teacher to check in. Have a great summer!" The intercom turns off.

All around me a bunch of hollers and hoots sounded from the other students obviously excited to go to the resort or the fact that we're on summer break. I guess I'm excited too but since I haven't worked there before, unlike the other kids, I don't really know what to be excited about. Besides the fact that I'll be with my friends for most of the summer and our rooms are free since we're working.

I walk to E-building to see if Lilly needs help at the animal care center, but I find that she's already closing up.

"Oh! No need Elise. Today wasn't too much to handle" She says, waving her hand dismissively. "Thanks for coming to check though"

"No problem!" I say, offering her a smile. "Have a good summer!" I add, waving bye. She says the same and waves back.

I actually have no idea what I should do for my summer break until I have to go to the resort. I could always just watch movies all day while stuffing my face with popcorn. But I don't want to be a couch potato either. Maybe I should practice baking since that's what I'm going to be doing at the resort.

After I get home, a note awaits for me hanging on the refrigerator door. It reads,

Hey El!
Hope you had a good last day of school. We can't believe you're going to be a senior already! Your father and I have the late shift tonight. You can invite you're friends over if you'd like!
Love you!
Mom & Dad

Putting down the note, I can't help but agree with my parents. I'm going to be a senior. Which means, only one more year to spend with the ones I love and will always hold close: my parents, the amazing people I met and became friends with, and one more year until I become an independent person. A bitter laugh escapes my lips, while I shake my head.

"Where has the time gone?" I whisper to my myself.

I walk over to the cabinets to take out all of the condiments and measuring tools I need for baking brownies with homemade ice cream. I do the same when I get to the refrigerator and set them down onto the counter. Tying my hair up with my black rubber band, I wash my hands right after.

With my now clean hands, I pick up the crinkly, white paper of the recipe and read the instructions:

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Put bro-

The door bell sounds, interrupting me from continuing to read. I set the recipe down and made my way to the front door. I open the door only to get pushed passed as someone makes their way into my house. My first, quick instinct was to grab my phone and dial 911.