CHAPTER TEN

The first thing that hit me was the pain. I bit back a groan and let my vision focus. I felt warm and the softness of the comforter bunched in my hands. My eyes cleared and I realised that I was in Tobias’ room. I’d know the vintage looking space anywhere; I mean everything was made out of wood with fancy swirls and carpentry. I’m sure everything was also custom made.

The fire was lit and it was the only source of light since outside it was grey and pouring with rain. The rain drops hit the window and trailed after one another. Before I reached for my head to feel the bandage, I saw Tobias’ figure sitting in an armchair near the fire.

He was looking at me sadly until he was up and beside the bed.

“It’s okay, you’re back in Silvermoon.” He said, his voice catching.

I jumped up, ignoring the pain in my head because I remembered. I’d been hurt and my skull had cracked open. Humans wouldn’t survive it but I’m not just human. Black Forest and Silvermoon had fought and Tobias hadn’t kept his word.

“You’re saying that like I should be glad,” I croaked and I slid back down. I was already getting a headache which was obviously because of the injury. “It’s not like you said I could stay. You got what you wanted; in fact, you massacred my pack and left them in ruins. I bet that was a bonus for you.” I growled but his body tensed.

“Look,” he said. “I didn’t want that to happen. This feud is only because your father refused an alliance with my father and permission when we wanted to search the pack years ago. I found a reason to bargain with your brother and I took it. And I didn’t break the deal; I said clearly that if he or anyone intruded then you’d return with me. He brought that fight on himself.” He finished with a yell, and then took one look at me and retreated.

“Fair enough, you stuck to the deal. But if your think your explanation is gonna fix everything or make me forgive you, you’re mistaken.” I scoffed and turned to my side to both look away and hide my tears. Despite the fact that he may not have broken his word, he still hurt my people and my family. God know how they’ve managed the last 24 hours.

“It’s a boy,” he said.

“What?”

“Their baby…it’s a boy.”

I turned around this time. “And how do you know this?”

“After you passed out, your mother said it was. She told me to tell you. She actually…” he didn’t finish. Instead he walked to the door and left.

So he’d spoken to my mom. Were they now on friendly terms? Was she blind the entire time that the fight happened? I rolled over again, hoping to sleep but I lay awake most of the night and Tobias never returned.

***

It was the fifth day and Dr. Reed said that I was allowed to take my bandage off. We were still in his room but I’m guessing Tobias decided to crash in another room for the last few days.

“Just take aspirin and it should clear your head. You’re fine, but you will get headaches.” She said and smiled before leaving. That left his mom, him and me in one room.

His mom had been compassionate about the events. She even apologised and promised me that she’d call them to see if they were okay but my brother was furious. Not only had he entered fatherhood but his son was born on that dreaded day. Thankfully, I persuaded Tobias to let me send a congratulations gift.

His mom got up to leave. She patted my cheek gently then left. I caught Tobias’ gaze and held it.

“I sent a few men to Black Forest.”

“WHAT?”

“As a peace treaty. I want no more fights. I realised that I may have taken things far but I was not going to let your brother stand between me and what my father has been looking for so many years.”

“Your men will just start another fight.”

“If they do I will personally execute them.”

“You’d really do that?”

“If they disobey my orders, yes.”

I let out a sigh and took an aspirin. It was routine every time I talked to him because he is infuriating and sometimes I just can’t put up with it.

“What is that sword anyway? If you went through all that trouble, I should know.”

Funnily, he didn’t protest. I made his was towards the bed and sat next to me. I waited, and waited when he replied.

“It’s the Ancient’s sword.”

I furrowed my eyebrows and waited for him to elaborate but he didn’t. “Er, I’m gonna need more than that.”

“The sword belonged to the Ancient Slayer, a werewolf slayer. He was born specifically for that purpose and to kill the Ritual Born. There have been many centuries where the Ancient has searched for the Ritual Born to kill him but he was never born yet. A Ritual Born is only possible when the mother is pregnant on a lunar eclipse where all the planets are aligned. It’s been said never to be possible but it has. He never knew when it would happen or when he’d meet his true opponent but werewolves feared him and after tiresome work and planning, they trapped him in a tomb. They say the tomb can only be broken when the planets align and that will happen in a few months”

“Whoa, wait. Why does this have to happen? And how do you know?”

“It’s the prophecy.”

“And since when does the planet align on the same day as a lunar eclipse?”

“Like I said it’s very rare, but the prophecy states that at one point, it would happen and it has. Now it’s the fight between the Ancient and the Ritual, it’s up to them whether werewolves suffer or thrive.”

“Okay, so who is this Ritual Born. He better whoop that guy’s ass because no slayer will drive us into extinction.”

He laughed and took my hand. “I’m guessing the Ancient will get it ass whooped. I’m counting on it and now that we have the sword, the very thing he used to decapitate many of our kind, we can use it against him.”

“Wait we?”

“I mean as a community of werewolves. This Ritual Born needs all the support he can get. And we got the sword before he can find min-“

He stopped and sucked in a breath. He hastily stood up but I followed him and grabbed his arm.

“Your what?” I asked and crossed my arms over my chest.

“My nothing.” He said.                        

“You seem to know a lot about this prophecy, how come?”

“Because it was my father’s great grandfather that trapped the bastard in the tomb, so yeah, I have sufficient knowledge.”

“So this guy is immortal? What about the ritual born? Is he immortal too?

“No, he has a few exceptions. Fast healing, strength of ten werewolves, speed and also the power to control darkness as well as others. But he’s not immortal but cannot be killed unless by my own blade or by age.”

He did it again and I squinted at him. “You said ‘my blade’, why did you say that? Tobias what is going on?”

“Enough! I’ve said too much and the more you know the more danger you’re in.” Tobias growled and gritted his teeth.

“You’ve already told me so much, why can’t you tell me the truth? I know something is going o-“

“SHUT UP!” He yelled. “You confuse me and always ask questions. All you need to know is some psychopath may kill us all and that’s that.” With that he stormed out but they weren’t just mistakes. Tobias was hiding something huge and if he’s not going to tell me, I’ll find out myself.