CHAPTER FIVE

My body was burning and my neck stung so badly that my screams and yells got louder and my throat hurt. I could feel it getting harder to breath and my lungs struggling but I also saw Tobias lift me up and take me to the bed.

“It’s okay; it’ll burn for a bit. I’m sorry but I had to.” He said but I didn’t hear half of it because of the pain coursing through my body. I flailed around, crying, kicking and begging for death. Marks weren’t meant to be like this. Avery got marked but she was fine within minutes but this, this was hell.

“Help! Please, oh God, help!” I screamed and I heard several feet run in at once but I didn’t know who they were.

“Get the wolfsbane,” someone bellowed, “It should ease the pain.” My body was sticky with sweat and I was crying. I could feel Tobias holding me and giving me some comfort but it hurt so much. “I’m sorry,” he breathed in my ear and kissed the side of my head. I was lifted up into a sitting position and a glass was brought to my lips. I drank thirstily and felt the pain ebb away.

I was breathless but calm and my neck wasn’t stinging so much. Whatever they gave me was put into effect and I wanted to sleep. Just sleep…

***

I woke with a hammering headache and a stiff neck. I reached up and sensed a huge band aid next to my collar bone and it all came pouring back like a terrifying nightmare. I remembered the pain so well I was scared it’d come back.

I looked on the nightstand and found a can of soda which I opened and drank hungrily. I sighed once my thirst was quenched and leaned back. I heard the door squeak open and I lazily opened an eye.

“Sorry to disturb, miss, but I have to check you’re alright. Also, here’s the pizza wanted, still nice and warm.” She said and placed a tray with the pizza apart from one slice. “Sadly, Master Aiden got a little hungry on the trip back.” She said apologetically and came towards me. “I have to change the band aid on your neck, miss.” She said and approached. She swiftly took it off, cleaned any excess blood and applied a new one. She helped me pull my hair back into a bun and let me eat whilst she tidied.

“Sorry, but, are you a wolf Miss…” I started the ask in-between a bite

“My name’s Clara, miss. And no, I am a Were. I have the Werewolf gene in me, however, I can’t shift.” She said kindly and smiled. “But Alpha Tobias was very kind to have us work in the house. I work down in the kitchens and do the housework.” She smiled gratefully and started mopping up dried blood from the floor.

I guess that’s one good thing I’ve heard about Tobias. He recruited Were’s that never shifted. Speaking of Tobias, I needed to speak to him. Firstly, because he marked me when I didn’t want to be claimed, and secondly, why on earth the bite felt like close death to me.