Chapter 36: Weddings lead your mind down a certain path

Start from the beginning

"Is there any reason in particular that you're stopping by?" Max asked and I almost turned on my heels and sprinted out the room because I thought I was overstepping my welcome. "No, Abbey, I don't mind! Please do stay. You just make me curious with that far-off look in your eye."

"Feel free to cut me off if I'm rambling or you don't want to answer... but why do you want to get married? Christ, that sounds horrible and to ask someone that right before they're about to get married. Never mind. Ignore me," my voice sped up gradually as I realised how stupid and inappropriate my question had been.

But Max was a kind soul and he just laughed and didn't seem nervous or mad at my question.

"It's okay, Abbey. I think I get what you're asking. Why get married when we're almost as good as married already?" he asked for confirmation and I nodded. "Well, I agree that not much will outwardly change by getting married. We already live together, we already sleep together, we already have joint finances and we already love each other deeply. But this is just a nice thing to do and it makes things easier legally, even if that's far from the romantic answer. Mostly it's just because I want to publically tell her that I can't imagine ever moving on from her. I've had girlfriends before and she's had boyfriends before. Obviously never as serious as each other but she'll not just be my long-term girlfriend. She'll be my wife. I've immensely enjoyed calling her my fiancé for this past year and I can only imagine wife is going to be even better. She made me become a better me and it wouldn't matter if we got married or not. I know I'd always have her but it's a nice thing to say that she's my girl to everyone we know."

I paused and considered Max's words. He delivered them with such ease and I could see the way he held himself that he was sure of what he was telling me. It had taken a long time for us to get to know each other as both naturally shy and held-back people but it wasn't until that moment it dawned on me just how similar we was.

"We're kindred spirits, aren't we, Max?" I asked with a crocked smile. "It's easy to forget sometimes. I'm not even sure I realised until now."

"You realised, Abbey. Don't forget about all our across-the-room eye contact when either of our Haydens open their mouth as says something ridiculous or get into trouble."

"You're right. I should leave you to it. See you in the church, Max and you look great."

"Abbey?"

"Huh?"

"If you're worried about Nate and what he might ask you in the future, don't be. He's a great guy and I doubt he'd try to pressure you into something if you don't want it."

"Even if he just wants to marry me because he wants to show his love like you do for Sabrina? He's already brought it up several times but I think we're too young," I confessed to Max in a hushed voice.

"If you just keep being honest and talking to each other, then everything will be fine, Abbey. It's how Sabrina and I worked out and now this is our wedding date."

I nodded and went to open the door to almost stumble into the arms of the best man, who was panting heavily. I left quickly to give Max and his best friend a chance to talk things through and I headed back to the church where my eyes instantly found Nate.

He looked so damn handsome in his tuxedo and I felt like the wind got knocked out of me. I had never been blind to his physical attractiveness but what really felt like a punch in the gut was the way his eyes scanned the room for me too and the brilliant smile that adorned his face when he spotted me. Before meeting him, I had only dreamt that someone would ever look at me like that.

I made my way to him and I didn't say a word as I stood on my toes and pressed my lips gently to his. His expression softened as we broke apart and he didn't seem surprised at the public display of affection that I usually shied away from. His hand found the small of my back and he pressed another kiss into my hair.