Bonus content: I wouldn't want Christmas any other way

Merry Christmas, everyone! xxx

A/N: I would apologise for doing another bonus scene so soon but it's currently Christmas Eve as I'm writing and posting this and I wanted to make this. (I'll probably move this back a few spots as the next two proper chapters take place before Christmas but they still need to be written. I hope it's not too confusing but this scene takes place during Christmas 2016, though the last chapter took place in October. Let's get on with it.)

--

I can't properly remember what it was like having Christmas before Abbs came into my life. I know the memories must be in there somewhere but I can't quite dig them out. All I seems to recall now it our first two Christmases together and how she'll always wake up so excitedly.

She stirs in my arms and blinks awake and soon the smile is bright on her face. The bed in her childhood bedroom is smaller than we're used to and by default we're snugged up closely. I don't mind one damn bit. It's only Christmas Eve and there's no rush to get out of bed and go open presents before tomorrow. 

"Morning, love," I say, my voice heavy with sleep.

"It's Christmas Eve," she replies and if possibly her smile goes even wider. She looks utterly adorable with the almost childlike excitement radiating from her eyes.

"I know," I chuckle and squeeze her tighter.

"Did you sleep okay?" she asks, burring her face in my chest and muffling the sound a bit.

"I sleep fine anywhere where I have you next to me," I reply and my hand that isn't wrapped around her finds her hair to stroke it absentmindedly.

"It's too early in the morning for that much cheese," she says softly but smiles caringly. "And it's a damn lie. It won't do you much good to have me in your arms if your legs are hanging over the bedframe."

"It's all about perspective," I say.

If I had not been with Abbs, I'm not sure how my Christmas Eve morning would have looked like. I never brought home any girls to Christmas before and I find it impossible to imagine some other girl in Abbs' place – it feels so wrong.

I was a bit jealous, okay really jealous, when Sabrina brought Max home for Christmas the year before I met Abbs. I'd never seen my sister so in love with someone and I found myself unable to tease her about Max, like I had her boyfriends before.

I'd wanted that kind of love. I'd craved it and now I had her snuggled up in his arms.

Sabrina and Max were getting married next year after having been together for nearly four years. I would be lying if I didn't say that it sparked thoughts of my own. I'd want to marry Abbey one day, if she'd have me.

She wasn't sure if she believed in marriage. According to her, you didn't need to legally bind yourself to someone to be committed. Still, I hoped that if I popped the question, she'd say yes.

"How long before either my parents or Emma or Megan comes knocking, do you reckon?" Abbs asks and looks over to the floor where Patch is curled up on his blanket sleeping peacefully.

"I don't know," I answer honestly. "But it'll probably be your brother before anyone else. He'll come barging in here to check I haven't put my hands on his baby sister."

"He's not that bad, he likes you," Abbs argues. Luke is coming home from LA any moment now; their dad went to pick him up from the station.

I'm joking but there's underlying truth to my comment. Luke is extremely protective of both Abbs and Emma. Abbs doesn't know how sincerely Luke threatened me when I started dating her. I don't tell her because it's coming from a place of love and to be completely frank; it's nice to know someone will hound me down if I ever hurt Abbs.