Chapter 36: Weddings lead your mind down a certain path

It had felt like Sabrina and Max had been engaged forever and it was finally the actual day they were to be married. They'd been engaged for less than a year but I could still remember the shock that washed over me to quickly give way for excitement when I had originally been told.

Marriage seemed so serious and learning that my boyfriend's sister was to marry had my head spinning a bit. It felt scarier than Jim and Tanya, who'd just gotten married, because this was Nate's family and he would sneak in those little comments about wanting to marry me one day.

We'd talked about it before and I still wasn't entirely convinced that I wanted to be married but my resolve had slowly been fading away with every nice gesture and gently nudges from Nate.

This would only be the third wedding I had ever attended. The first had been for Nate's cousin and the second had been Jim and Tanya's. I had learnt that weddings made me emotional and I was suddenly thankful that I didn't have an extremely big extended family that would mean weddings all the time.

I had met Nate's late grandfather Bob at the cousin's wedding and the way the old man had spoken to me still stayed with me. I had been a mess of happy tears at Jim and Tanya's because I could just see the love radiating off their faces and knowing that two people I cared so deeply for had found each other just made my heart soar.

On the morning of the wedding day, I was already a mess of nerves walking up and down the halls outside of the dressing room. It would only be a small wedding with friends and close family, much to Sabrina and Nate's parents' dismay. Especially, their mother had practically freaked out when she learnt that none of all her friends, or the 'family friends' would be invited. We'd only gotten this information from Sabrina but frankly; I could almost see the fight break out in front of my eyes. Their mother was a handful and she made mine look like a dance on roses.

Nate had gone to check up on his sister before the ceremony and I found myself drifting towards Max's dressing room. He undoubtedly had his best man and lots of his friends around him but I couldn't help feeling this need to go check up on him.

Max and I had never did speak much because in the company of two Hayden siblings it could be difficult to get a word in, but I had always really liked him. He seemed chill and completely comfortable with himself in a way that I had always envied.

I let my knuckles fall against the door gently and I heard him call out to come in. I opened the door slowly and called out to let him know that it was me.

"Ah, Abbey!" he greeted me and the smile plastered on his face was so wide that I wondered if his cheeks would hurt tomorrow. To my surprise, he was alone in his dressing room but looked fully done if you didn't count fidgeting with his shirt collar.

"All alone?" I asked and peaked around the room, half expecting someone to jump scare me after having been living with a daily vlogger for so long.

"I sent my best man on one final duty before the wedding, which was retrieving my watch that I stupidly forgot at home. This whole morning feels like my head has been put on backwards," he said and let out a huff of air.

"Are you nervous?" I asked sympathetically.

"Yes and no. I'm marrying my best friend, so in that sense I'm not but the whole thing is a bit nerve-wracking. It's a lot of eyes on us, even if we're keeping the wedding really small."

"I get that," I hummed in agreement.

I couldn't imagine me in Max's place, fidgeting with my clothes and feeling spikes of anxiety. I had talked to Nate earlier and he'd told me that Sabrina was completely cool but she seemed to remain cool in all and every situation.