Chapter 2 - covered in Mud

𝑊𝑜𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟 𝐺𝑖𝑟𝑙𝑠 - 𝐼 𝐹𝑒𝑒𝑙 𝑌𝑜𝑢

Lily

My mind tries to come up with ideas to escape. Given my lack of exercise and their strong looking bodies, I give them five seconds to catch me. Ten, if I'm lucky.

They are going to the Red Dawn Pack, which means I have three days to escape before reaching the land. I can make it if I ask to take a leek but I have a feeling the alpha will make the others keep an eye on me.

A snore breaks through my thoughts. Megan's to be more exact. Her snores are quiet but annoying and to make matters worse, it's cold.

I hold my breath as I climb out of bed and tiptoe all the way to the window. I look down but see no sign of a guard. Should I? I glance back at her, she's sleeping like a log. And the ground isn't far. But she is kind of scary...

I shall.

I lift my leg up and swing it to the outside followed by my other leg. I hear a shuffle and hold my breath. I take a chance to look behind me. Megan is facing away from me, still sleeping. I breathe out and scan my surroundings. If I get hurt, I'll heal in about a minute or an hour but I'm scared of the painful healing process. I close my eyes and jump, landing on my hands and feet.

A brief shot of pain passes through my legs but I take slow steps.

As I make my way into the forest, I realize it won't work if my scent is prominent. I need to get rid of my scent but I don't have the spray at the moment. I sniff the air. Something stinky hits my nose and I follow the direction. A big lake full of mud greets my nose.

For a second, I just stare at it. It looks disgusting but mostly because it's the color of poop. With a huff, I walk towards the lake and step inside. The mud immerses my shoes until I can't see them. I push farther until it's at my knees. Goosebumps rise on my skin as soon as the cold mud touches the jeans. To get it over with, I pinch my nose and push my knees up until I feel cold and heavy all over. I stay inside for a few seconds before deciding it's time to lift my head up before I drown. I push my legs and open my eyes once I smell the forest.

"Didn't think you'd do that."

I stop rubbing my eyes and slowly turn my head to the voice. The guy I pushed to the ground is a few feet away, on top of a tree with the most relaxed face and his legs swinging off the branch. Jeremy.

"Ah," I'm at lost for words. Kinda angry that he just let me jump inside when he could have easily restrained me. He grins and jumps off, his grin not disappearing even as he lands on his feet. He doesn't walk towards me but just gazes at my face as if reminding me that it's covered in mud. I frown and wipe it off my face, pulling all the hair behind my ear.

"What?" I scowl a little, annoyed that he doesn't even look away when a squirrel runs over the branch he was just on. He's making me feel like a fool. He could have stopped me and saved me a cold.

"You look funny."

I didn't think he'd answer. "So do you," I lamely resort but he only chuckles. What is this strange feeling?

"You're sinking," He's serious again and takes fast strides towards me. He extends his hand out, expecting me to take it. I look down at myself and mentally slap myself for being dumb. Instead of taking his hand, I push my legs forward. I grunt as the mud becomes heavy. The mud clings to my jeans as soon as they come into view. After a few more pushes, I pant and collapse to the ground on my knees.

"I could have helped you know."

Ignoring him, I turn around and sit down with my legs towards the mud lake. From the corner of my eye, he sits beside me while staring at my face as if I were an art piece.