Chapter 30: Across the Stars

Time sped by as Ben and Rey travelled towards the Azalea star system, and Rey felt that her bond with Ben grew stronger with each passing day. Even so, Ben seemed to have regressed into his former stoic and untalkative self. Rey sensed that whatever had been done to him on Snoke's ship seemed to have truly caught up with him now, as he slept through most of the first leg of their journey.

The two took turns each day resting in the small sleeping chambers and manning the ship's controls, keeping a close monitoring of the ship's scanners in case they crossed paths with Empire ships or pirates.

After five days of travelling, Rey felt well-rested and nourished. Ben too had noticeably begun to heal, his face gaining more color as he continued to rest and eat regularly.

Despite his quietude, Rey had occasionally gotten Ben to open up to her about some of his memories from his childhood. He told her stories of how Chewbacca would carry him around when he was little, as well as how his parents would tell him about their past adventures with Luke. Rey noticed that Ben's eyes seemed to light up when he relayed these memories to her, reflecting on them fondly instead of with disdain.

Rey enjoyed his stories, and she in turn told him some of her own, of her scavenging on Jakku, how she was pressed to find salvageable items in order to earn food portions, and how she often had to fight off thugs and bandits. Ben appeared sympathetic when she told him these things, but she assured him that growing up alone on Jakku had taught her valuable survival skills and made her stronger, more capable to fend for herself.

Rey enjoyed their conversations, but she grew increasingly anxious as each day passed; Ben hadn't attempted to touch her again since Drecenia, much less kiss her. It all felt so platonic. Rey became fidgety, often shooting Ben quick, conjuring looks, feeling too awkward to bring up the subject in conversation. She wondered what was holding him back, or worse—if his feelings about her had potentially changed.

There was a marked seriousness about Ben as they neared the Azalea system, an apprehension that she sensed on his part, and Rey had of course expected him to feel this way, especially now that they were on the last leg of their traveling. But she hadn't predicted that his apprehension would carry over to his feelings about her. Though she didn't show it on the outside, suppressing her feelings from him, Rey felt hurt.

As Rey sat across from Ben in front of the control board, she gazed over at the side of his pale face as he stared ahead at the stars.

"We're only about two days out now, maybe less," he said, his tone distant.

"Ben...it'll be okay," Rey said gently, turning her pilot's chair towards his as he continued to gaze ahead.

"I'm not so sure," Ben said, a tremor in his voice.

"You...do know your mother loves you," Rey said, focusing on his profile.

He turned to look at her, a slight surprise in his eyes. Or was it hope? Ben opened his mouth to speak, but instead stared at her silently.

"Ben," Rey prompted.

"Yes," he breathed.

"When we were both younger—when we were training under L—the Jedi Order," she began, choosing her words carefully to keep the mood light, "were we...friends?"

Ben's eyebrows quivered, a faraway look developing in his eyes. "Yes, certainly," he said. A brief smile spread across his mouth as his gaze shifted, and Rey felt his memories surging. "You were so small...you were the youngest one in training, actually. You would follow me around all the time. You always wanted me carry you around on my shoulders—you'd pretend you were flying, and that I was your spaceship," he said, smiling.