Chapter 2: A New Mission

Later that evening, when everyone had headed to the tiny guest houses scattered around the main house, only Leia, Rey, Finn, and Poe remained in the living area, relaxing upon the spacious couches. Rey had been explaining to them how she'd been working her telekinesis abilities with Luke, even demonstrating her new skills by transferring various books and small items around to the different shelves in the room. They clapped and smiled, but Rey couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed in herself that she hadn't progressed much further in her telekinesis skills in the past year.

"Those are some neat tricks you've got there, Rey," Poe remarked. "Maybe you can teach me sometime," he said, winking.

"Poe Dameron, if only you had a connection with the Force," Leia said. "I'm convinced you could save us all." She chuckled, and Poe revealed an award-winning smile. A look of subtle annoyance crossed Finn's features.

Rey was surprised; she hadn't heard Leia laugh since Han's death. His murder, she corrected herself.

Perhaps Leia herself had realized this, too, for her face returned to its usual solemn state. "It's times like this that..." she began, her voice fading.

"What is it?" Rey asked softly, searching Leia's eyes.

Leia merely shook her head. "I feel a presence in the Force, as I mentioned before...I do believe that Ben is still alive, but...somewhere far from here. I feel..." she sighed heavily. "Call me crazy, but I wish I could reach out to him in some way...I need to. Just to see that he is alive," she said. Poe frowned, but Finn and Rey gave her looks of sympathetic encouragement. "As a mother, I cannot rest, cannot live without knowing the state of my son." She turned to Poe and Finn. "It would mean the world to me if you two could somehow do this bidding. If you even just caught word of him...All I want is to know whether my son is alive."

Poe slowly stood, then came and knelt before her. Finn momentarily did the same. "General Leia Organa, it would be my undying honor to fulfill such a task," Poe declared.

"And mine as well," Finn said. "We will find him." From the tone of his voice, it didn't sound like he actually believed what he said.

"What about me?" Rey asked, standing. "I'm coming too."

"Rey, you need to stay with Luke and complete your training. Besides, it's not safe for you out there, now that you are a known user of the Force. This is important."

"But I've already learned so much, and besides, this trip probably wouldn't take long. We just need to find a source who has had recent connection with your son."

"Uh, I'm not so sure I'd call this a 'trip,'" Finn said, standing, mimicking quotations marks with his fingers. "This isn't a vacation."

"I think it is too dangerous for you to go," Leia said, sighing. "Though they have learned in different ways, both Poe and Finn have had extensive combative training, should the need arise."

"I understand the point you make, General Leia, but I am willing to face these risks. With all do respect, I must go. Poe and Finn are my closest friends, it would feel wrong to me to not be at their sides. Besides," she said, shrugging, "I haven't left this planet for over half a year. I'm really needing a change in scenery, even a brief one."

Leia watched her, considering for a few silent moment. Her shoulders noticeably slumped as she released a long breath. "Alright," she said, eyeing Poe and Finn. "But you two better make sure you bring this girl back to me, she's special to me," Leia said. Poe and Finn nodded, exchanging glances. Leia laughed again. "Along with yourselves, of course."

Leia stood, smoothing the legs of her pants. She looked exhausted. "I'd better be off to bed, I need to get up early tomorrow if I'm to start making preparations for this mission."