Chapter 16: Returning the Favor

Rey stood next to Kylo's tall figure in the command shuttle control room, watching the bright stars that sailed past the ship.

"Where are we heading now?" Rey asked, observing the side of Kylo's pale face as his gaze remained trained before him. He looked especially sallow, a faint purplish coloring developing under his weary eyes.

"East," he said cryptically.

Rey leaned over and observed the coordinates he'd logged into the ship's autopilot system, but she didn't recognize them.

"I have to stop off for fuel soon. This ship doesn't carry much, it isn't intended for long-distance travel," Kylo explained.

Rey nodded, then returned her gaze to the passing stars ahead. She shifted her weight from one foot to the other, feeling bored and somewhat awkward in their silence. She felt that the air between them was discernibly tense.

There was no where else on the ship for her to venture; the space within the ship itself was very limited, almost claustrophobic. The command shuttle consisted of only the control room in which they currently stood, a storage room and a small bathroom at the back of the craft, as well as a windowless central chamber, filled only with a few seats lined along the back wall.

"Are we going someplace far away?" Rey asked, wondering how long they'd be staying in the cramped quarters of the ship.

"You could say that," Kylo said, still not turning to look at her.

"Well, if we are, why don't we use something that is intended for long-distance travel?" She asked. "We could trade this one in for a—"

Kylo turned his face momentarily to shoot her an annoyed glare. "No," he said, his tone one of childlike defiance.

"But don't you think that would make more sense?" Rey pressed. She studied the side of his shadowy face, watching his brows lowering.

"We're keeping this one," he stated firmly.

"I didn't see any sleeping quarters on this thing," Rey muttered.

Kylo looked at her askance, frustration marking his dark features. "That's because there are none," he retorted, shifting his gaze back to the window.

Rey glared at him, puzzled. She suddenly realized that she might be able to get into his head in his weakened state. She began to press into his mind, sensing the pain he felt in his head, the lasting infliction from Snoke's attack.

Kylo shot her a look, but then shut his eyes and seemed to wince as he pressed a hand against his head. He leaned forward over the desk, his hand still pressed against his forehead, clearly straining to keep her out. She sensed that his pain increased as she forged her way into his mind.

"Don't, don't," he said, and Rey was surprised at his almost pleading tone. She immediately retracted from his mind, but she'd found what she was looking for. Kylo let out a strained breath.

"You just don't want to give up this ship because it's yours," Rey gibed. "You're fond of it and you want to keep it." She cracked a half-smile, amused at his childish possessiveness.

He straightened himself, frowning down at her in annoyance. "That's not why. It's reliable, it's fast...there's no other ship like it."

Rey raised an eyebrow, her half-smile turning skeptical. "I've seen the truth, you don't have to admit it," she taunted.

Kylo glared at her a moment longer before abruptly turning away, leaving the control room. He clearly wasn't used to dealing with being questioned or ridiculed; to Rey, it didn't seem like Kylo quite knew how to react.