Chapter 5: Let's Pretend to be Girlfriends Cliche

There's one thing Amelia knows when both her parents are present at the dining table, it usually spells danger for her or more likely to her relationship status. She knows they're plotting something and she's not sure if she can sit down and eat breakfast with the two of them. She tried to sneak out of the house undetected but alas, her mom seems to have a radar on her and called her out. So now here she is, silently eating her breakfast as her parents talk about business. She feels like she's back in her high school years. As long as they're not focusing on me, she thinks to herself.

"Isabelle." She almost chokes when her mom calls her. She mutters a quiet 'yes' fearing whatever it is her mom is about to say. "Have you found a date to your cousin's wedding? Benjamin can be your date if you don't have one." And there it is, her mother's antics to get her off the market.

"Ah yes Benjamin seems like a nice guy." Her dad agrees. "But if you don't like him I have someone you might." Yup, there it is. The reason why Amelia avoids eating with her parents. They always gang up on her and sets her up on blind dates. She tries to say something but she's ignored as her parents take it upon themselves to find her a date for the wedding. Amelia really should have think it over but she finds herself blurting out the words 'I'm actually dating someone and I'm taking them to the wedding.' That seems to get their attention and she freezes when her brain catches up to what she said.

"Oh? Who is it? And how long have you been together?" Her mom inquires tilting her head.

"I've been dating her for 6 months. I'm sorry I haven't told you." She says and she really should shut up but she's dug her own grave so might as well lay in it.

"Her? Honey, is that why you didn't tell us? You know we love you right?" Her dad says and she's thankful for it. "Well if that's the case then me and your mom can't wait to meet her. Has she been treating you right?"

"Yes dad. She's been treating me right." Amelia lies and stops herself from looking away knowing it was her tell when she lies. "Anyway I should get going. I have this thing. See you." She stands quickly and starts walking out of the room before her parents can question her further. When she gets in her car, she lets out a deep sigh and rests her head against the steering wheel. She's really overdone it and she can't even ask any of her girlfriends to pretend to be her date. Letting out another sigh, she starts her engine and drive down the streets.

Amelia walks straight to the bar table where an unsuspecting bartender cleans the glasses while talking to her friend. She has resolved to ask for help from the one person her parents does not know as her friend. When she reaches the table, she doesn't let the other girl say one word as she announces "I need you to be my girlfriend." Everyone present falls silent as the bartender's jaw slacks at such declaration.

"Wow. That was quite..unexpected." The raven haired girl states with an uneasy smile. Amelia knows she owes the girl an explanation but she can't do it in front of strangers.

"Come with me." She states and Maxie looks to her friend before looking back at her. She lets out a relieved sigh when she sees the girl makes her way around the table and she lets Maxie lead her to a private room. Once the door is close, Amelia is aware of the intrigue written on the girl's face. "I should really explain the situation huh?" She shyly states and gets a nod from the other girl. "Where should I begin." She mutters to herself.

"From the start would be nice." Apparently Maxie has heard her and she can't help but sigh.

"Okay. Well my cousin is getting married this weekend and you know how my mom loves to set me up on dates." She pauses chancing a glance at the girl before continuing. "Well she said that if I don't have a date for the wedding that I should go with Benjamin." She stops to gather her thoughts. "Then my dad says that if I don't like Benjamin, he has someone who can be my date for the wedding and then they just started talking about setting me on a few blind dates and I couldn't take it anymore so I blurted out that I'm actually dating someone and that I'm bringing them to the wedding." She rambles and sees the look of amusement on Maxie's face. "So my mom asked me how long I've been dating this person so I told her 6 months and before I knew it they told me they can't wait to meet this person." Amelia pauses. "I mean I know I've got some girlfriends but I can't ask them to be my pretend girlfriend since my parents knows them and probably won't believe it so I thought about you and how you can be that girlfriend since they don't really know you." She suggests shyly. "It's okay if you say no, I can look for someone else. I mean I know this is quite a huge favor but I'm really desperate." She finishes and wishes the girl would say something, anything really. After two agonizing minutes, Maxie finally speaks or more like laugh and Amelia is starting to re-think this decision.