Chapter 17

"That's your house?"

"Yes." I sighed, barely noticing the astonishment in Reed's tone as I stared at the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen. It was a little hard to make everything out in the dark, especially from our spot down the street - the house was set quite a ways back from the tall gate - but I could see it well enough.

My home was right there! Mere feet away!

In a few moments, I would barge through the gate, run all the way to the door, and wake the whole house! They must be asleep by now.

Probably anyway. I had no way of telling time other than the moon, and I'd never been very good at that. Papa must have tried to get it in my head twenty times....

Papa! Mother! They were so close!

Were the boys here or were they away at school? I couldn't believe how much I missed them - even Richard. I found myself smiling, thinking of our reunion. I couldn't wait to wrap my arms around each one of them. Samuel had probably blamed himself for not stopping me that day. That would be like him. I would assure him immediately it wasn't his fault. My stupidity would not have been hindered by a lovable ten-year-old boy.

Oh they just had to be home! I would never be able to wait for them to come all the way from school!

Reed's low whistle brought me back to reality.

"Wow..." he murmured.

I turned to beam at him. "Thank you so much! I can never repay you for this. If it wasn't for you-"

Reed put his finger over my lips, stopping me.

"Let's get you home, Princess." He smiled, apparently embarrassed by my gratitude.

I grinned and looked back at the gate.

"George will be minding the gate," I said. "Or Arthur will. Unless there's someone new. If it's Arthur, he might not hear us right away, but after a few...." I trailed off, sensing something strange.

When I turned back to Reed, my pulse sped and I was frozen in terror. We were no longer alone. And it was so much worse than our last few encounters.

I couldn't tell if the man with his sword to Reed's throat was a soldier or not, but the larger one who's eyes were locked on me, was in uniform. There was no confusion in his gaze due to my appearance. There was ony triumph at having been the one to find me.

I quickly glanced around, wondering if I should try to run and call for help. Would whoever was minding the gate hear me in time? Would they be able to fight off these two if they did hear?

"Go!" Reed hissed at me.

I hated to leave him like that - absolutely despised it, but I was no match for even one of them. I had to hope that they didn't want Reed. Maybe they'd let him go and chase after me.

When I tried to run in the other direction, I crashed into something solid that hadn't been there a few seconds ago.

Not something, I understood too late - someone! All the blood drained from my face when I realized who's arms had clamped down on me, holding me in place.

"No!" I struggled, but it was no use. Garvan finally caught me and he was not about to let go.

I looked toward the sound of the sudden commotion to see Reed attempting to fight off both of the other men. Reed was tall and capable, but the other men were larger and overpowered him easily. The man in uniform knocked him on the head with the blunt end of his sword and Reed slumped to the ground, unconscious.