Chapter 11

After an eternity, I began to see the faintest bit of light and I started to feel like I was able to breathe again. I practically ran the last few feet and didn't bother waiting for Reed when I forced my way out into the muted light of the forest.

Once my feet were firmly on the surface again, Reed appeared beside me and quickly arranged the moss and debris I'd carelessly shoved out of the way.

"Seems as if you survived," he said, turning to me with a cocky smile.

"I'd appreciate it if we could stay above ground after this," I said, brushing loose dirt from my dress and hair.

"There aren't many more tunnels," he said. "Least not that lead in the right direction. It'd probably be safer for you if there were though."

At his words, I glanced around. We were completely alone in the middle of a huge forest.

"It doesn't seem unsafe," I disagreed.

"For now."

Reed turned and began walking.

"What does that mean?" I followed him.

He sighed. "It means, Princess, that you're a long way from your castle. Those men back there aren't the only danger out here for someone like you. And they're still a threat. We lost them for now, but I'm guessing they know where you're heading and they're not going to give up very easily."

Suddenly cold, I crossed my arms, hugging myself. I was glad not to be alone.

"What do you mean, someone like me?" I asked. "What can I change?"

He stopped and looked at me critically. "For one thing, let your hair down."

Instinctively, I touched my hair that must be a total mess by now. Surely, no sane person would think I were rich based solely on my hair style.

"Women out here don't fuss with their hair like that," he said. "Either they leave it down or tie a cloth over it. You look dirty and ruffled, but also high-born. Which makes you seem like an easy target."

Taking his advice, I began to pull the pins from my hair. The task wasn't easy since it was pretty tangled by this point.

After a few minutes, hair pins lay in a circle at my feet and my blonde hair was trailing down my back. I actually preferred it that way, but I knew it was going to be in my face and getting more and more tangled by the minute.

I tried to begin walking again, but Reed stopped me.

"Unless you'd like to leave a calling card, pick those up and hide them somewhere." He pointed at the pins.

"Oh..." That was stupid. I quickly bent to gather all the pins in my hand before I tossed them into a nearby bush. When I looked at Reed, he shook his head and sighed.

I scowled. "Okay, so I made one mistake."

"Yeah," he agreed. "One that could lead them right to you."

Crossing my arms, I gestured in the direction we'd been walking. Reed took the hint and started moving.

"What else?" I asked, sucking up my pride.

"Huh?"

"What else can I change?" I clarified.

He paused, looking at me again and I felt self-conscious at the inspection.

"Well, there's nothing to be done about the dress... Unless you'd like to leave it behind?" He winked playfully.

I rolled my eyes. "Not a chance."