Chapter 4

Alex knew exactly what he was doing by leaving me stunned and alone on the dance floor, and I wanted to hit him for it.

My dislike of dancing aside, for the past few years, men who were looking for wives used every opportunity to pounce. I hadn't had my Come Out Ball like most girls my age, so it wasn't technically proper for anyone to attempt to court me, but that didn't stop a large number of men from trying to hedge their bets.

As long as I was with Papa, I was safe. No one would dare try to break protocol and risk crossing him, right in front of his face. I was usually safe with Alex too, since no one wanted to appear to be moving in on the prince's territory. That's the only reason I'd been free from dancing until Alex had asked. I'd been with both of them up until that point. Or I suppose it's more accurate to say, I'd clung to Papa and Alex had stayed near me.

But now I was fair game, standing alone on the dance floor. To anyone who saw me, I appeared to be a girl eager for the next dance. It would have been rude for them not to grant my wish. And of course, by the time I realized it, I was already being approached by the first man.

"Miss Graham, you look heavenly this evening." Oliver Banks bowed, offering a hand. "I do hope you will allow me the pleasure of this dance."

The formality and flattery annoyed me. Unsurprisingly, I had no real choice but to accept. It was considered unbearably rude and obnoxious not to grant at least one dance to whoever asked.

It was no secret that Oliver had his eye on me for the last two years. He'd probably been standing off to the side, just waiting for Alex to leave me alone for a second. And he was only the first in what I knew would be a long line of tedious would-be suitors this evening. After all, as Alex pointed out, I was one of the most eligible females in the kingdom.

Unfortunately, he hadn't been exaggerating. It was entirely possible that the only girls in the kingdom who were considered to be better prospects were Alex's sisters, Isabelle and Juliette. But Juliette was still unarguably a child, and Isabelle, though old enough by Society's standards, wouldn't be allowed to marry for quite a few years.

Which meant that I was currently viewed as the prime trophy to these men.

Of course, I didn't imagine that their interest had anything whatsoever to do with me. No, these vultures all had a much more important person in mind - my father. Every one of them was after some advantage, be it financial, political, social, or militarily. I was merely the tool they wanted to use.

I was going to kill Alex.

Forcing a smile, I placed my hand in Oliver's. "Of course," I said dutifully, silently cursing the prince. He absolutely loved practical jokes and would have seen this as a great way to provoke me while forcing the stark reminder of precisely what I had to look forward to if I refused him.

As if I ever forgot.

Oliver positioned his arms and began leading me in the dance. After stepping on his foot a second time in mere minutes, I apologized and looked for Alex.

Sure enough, the delinquent was practically laughing at me from where he stood near his mother.

I scowled and raised my chin, forcing my attention back on whatever Oliver was saying, preparing to do my best to seem as if this was a wonderful treat. It would serve Alex right if he thought his plan backfired and that I was actually interested in someone else.

Oliver droned on and on about his business and properties, probably believing he was impressing me. In reality, I had stopped listening about three seconds after I attempted to start, and had no idea what he'd said.