Chapter Nine

Harry POV

I heaved a small sigh, letting Aeron out from under my shirt. 'Severus Snape will never change. That is one thing I will always be glad about. In any case, I need to move things along before school starts.'

~ So where shall we go next Harry?

~ The Owl Emporium. I don't want to keep having you deliver my letters.

~ Does this mean I will not be allowed to eat the birdy?

~ Correct, you are not to eat the bird. I hissed out with slight amusement, before leaving the room. Once again maneuvering around the people standing around, I reached the entrance to Diagon Alley. Tapping the stones, I was immediately greeted with the loud noise of laughter and chatter. It took only a few minutes to reach the store, glad to see that it was pretty empty for the moment.

Walking inside, my eyes automatically searched for Hedwig. However, she was surprisingly already gone. 'Really, it would have been a bad idea to get her anyways. She stands out too much, and that wouldn't be good for when conversing with Voldemort.' Calmly walking farther inside, I glanced around some more. It was towards the back that I noticed a pure black owl standing on a perch away from all the other owls. I stopped a few steps away from it, watching as it tilted its head and stared at me as though daring me to walk closer. Feeling someone walk up behind me, I kept my eyes on the owl but focused on the presence.

"I would be weary of that bird, sir. He attacks anyone who gets too close to him. Sometimes he even lures people near him by acting nice, just so he can scare them away the second they move to pet him." I ignored the store owner, though taking in this information.

I took a step closer, accepting the birds challenge. The grey eyes kept their piercing gaze trained on my movements.

"S-sir! Please be careful! I will not take responsibility if you get harmed!" The man stuttered out, taking a few steps back in what I assume was fear. I held back my amusement, taking another step forward. Three more and I would be close enough to touch him. The bird shifted, the black feathers rustling with the movement. Two more steps to go.

The grey eyes remained calculating but he made no move to attack, yet. That's when Aeron decided to pop his head back out from under my shirt to see what was happening. Ignoring the shop owners startled gasp, I moved forward again. Moving in that last step, I slowly brought my hand up, holding it palm up in front of the bird.

He looked at it wearily, so I kept still, not daring to move and accidentally startle him. It took a few moments before he shifted again, gazing moving from my hand back to my own eyes. Cautiously moving forward again, I laid my hand on his wing. Noticing him shifting again, I paused, waiting.

By now I heard the store's door open and shut twice, though I didn't pay any attention to it. Two males had been whispering back and forth to each other, most likely watching what was happening. Noticing the owl had calmed again, I removed my hand and held my arm out. Taking the offer, he left the perch and settled on my arm instead, letting out a small hoot of acceptance. Smirking, I turned to the owner who was now gaping at me.

"How much?" I asked, moving to take money from my robes.

"F-f-five galleons, s-sir." Giving him the money, I turned to leave, only to be stopped by the two who had entered earlier.

"That was brilliant-"

"How did you know-"

"How to get him-"

"To trust you?" The two redheads grinned at me, waiting for an answer. I wasn't expecting to see them so soon, let alone before school even started. 'The sooner the better, I suppose. I have always rather liked the twins.'