Sign of the Times - Harry Styles

It's a WWII imagine.

Prompt given by: justxnarryx

PS: I just want to say, I won't be going into much detail about the war because I learned enough about it in school and I'm pretty sure you don't want to learn it in a botched up way from me. So I still hope you enjoy the imagine :)

🌟🌟🌟🌟

It's September 7th, 1940. Niall Horan, just a young lad from Mullingar, Ireland, somehow found himself on a German plane on its way to bomb London, England. He, unlike the other soldiers around him, was scared. He didn't like the war. All he wanted was peace but the second he got drafted, he couldn't back out. Niall Horan was definitely a lover not a fighter. He barely knew how to hold a gun properly let alone be able to actually shoot someone with it. Niall doesn't want to kill anyone and he definitely doesn't want to die...at least not this soon.

He tightly held onto his seat when the plane began to shake. The soldiers around him laughed and some called him rookie. It wasn't Niall's fault that he was scared. If he had the choice to say no to the draft, he would have. It wouldn't have even hesitated. The plane began to shake more and then they heard an explosion; one of the wings of the plane was now on fire. This sent Niall into a panic and not just because of the fire that would soon engulf the plane, but because the explosion caused him to get injured. Blood was oozing from his right knee and no matter the amount of pressure he put on it, the bleeding wouldn't stop.

"I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna fucking die," he mumbled to himself over and over again, not realizing that the airplane was now falling out of the sky.

The next few moments of Niall's life came fast. He was ushered out of his seat—in a whole lot of pain—and had a parachute shoved at him. He hadn't even learned how to work it just yet, but he was still pushed out of the airplane anyway. Even though he managed to get the parachute on him properly, Niall was still flailing his arms, yelling and crying as if he could die any second. He was sure he was going to. He had barely lived out his life and he was going to die because he didn't know when to open his parachute.

Even though he wasn't completely calm, he could see that the other soldiers from his plane had pulled open their parachutes, so he did too. He yanked on the cord hard only to send himself into more panic when it didn't open right away.

"Fuck fuck fuck!"

Then it opened, but that didn't mean that Niall could breathe easy. Sure, he got the parachute open, but how in the hell was he going to land correctly if he's got an injured knee? The closer and closer that Niall got to the ground, the more he wished that he had just died when the explosion happened on the plane. He already knew that this landing was not going to be an easy one and knowing that he was close to London, there was no doubt that there would be British soldiers out looking for their enemy that they just shot down. And on top of that, Niall wouldn't be able to run what with an injured knee.

The closer and closer he got to the ground, his heart began pounding hard. He closed his eyes and braced himself for the impact. The second he hit the ground, he let out a loud cry; pain shooting up his leg. Grabbing at his knee, he let out a loud sob.

"Wh-why me?!" he cried out. "Why fucking me?"

He knew that he had to find some place to hide himself in case any British soldiers were to come and search the area for survivors. Ignoring the pain that intensified as he moved, Niall crawled into the woods until he could no longer see where he had landed. Leaning himself up against a tree, Niall let out another sob. He didn't want to die this way.