Breaking Rules and Being Heroes

Laura cocks her head to the side. "So you're saying..."

The Dean sighs exasperatedly. "I'm saying that according to my visions, Vordenberg was such a powerful sacrifice, that we won't need another one for Lophiiformes for centuries. Now, wait here while I get something for you."

"Maybe we'll find another way to keep the gates of Hell closed by then," Laura suggests hopefully as the Dean walks out of the room.

Mattie scoffs from across the cavern. "Do you ever annoy yourself with your positivity?"

Laura giggles, getting up from her seat beside the Dean. "Well, I'm positive that Carmilla and I are grateful for you lending this to me." She unclasps the locket and holds it out for Mattie. "Now that the whole sacrifice tension is over, I don't think we'll be needing it."

Mattie looks up at Laura, slowly taking her pendant back. "Thank god. Now I don't have to worry about my little sister barging in here every five seconds lamenting about her most recent argument with you."

"And yet something tells me that if I were to nag her about visiting you and spending time with you, you wouldn't argue," Laura points out.

"Why nag, when you can use your powers?" Mattie teases.

Laura shrugs. "Not as fun."

Mattie throws her head back in a cackle. "Oh, Laura Hollis. I'm so glad you weren't sacrificed."

"Th-Thanks," Laura says, figuring this is the highest level of praise she can get from the seer.

The Dean's bead curtain rattles as she re-enters the room. "A gift," she says, holding out a pair of glasses to Laura. "Do with it what you will."

Laura takes them carefully and looks down at them, biting her lip. "Thank you. For everything," she says slowly and sincerely.

The Dean observes her, mulling over something. "In return for... 'everything'... May I ask you a question?"

"Sure," Laura nods, curious.

"You were taught in Magic School that seers are upper-level demons, yes? That our loyalties are to evil?"

Laura nods again.

"Then why did you put your faith in either of us, darling?" she asks, gesturing to herself and Mattie. "We don't exactly exude trustworthiness."

"Hmm." Laura remains pensive for a few moments, considering how to reply.

She sits down, watching as Mattie cranes her neck, also interested in Laura's answer.

"You know how Will was following your orders to kidnap me, but shot Carmilla instead? And you cared enough about Carmilla to tell me where he was so I could stop him from killing her?"

The Dean chuckles. "Ah, yes. He's been removed from my list of servants. The boy can't think for himself well enough to perform tasks outside of what was laid out before him."

Laura looks at Mattie. "And when you trusted me enough with Carmilla to not interfere with our relationship–– other than swapping our bodies on my birthday?"

Mattie nods, snickering at the memory. "That was fun."

Laura rolls her eyes with a giggle. "Anyway, you guys care about Carm. Evil people don't care about others, so when I realized you guys aren't evil, that just meant I had to be willing to give you an opportunity to prove it."

The Dean and Mattie share a look before both start chuckling.

"I feel like I've done something wrong when I've made both Mattie and Lilita Morgan laugh," Laura squeaks.