Oh Crap

"So, anyway, viewers–– rest assured, we're still working on the whole 'Lophiiformes, gates of Hell opening' thing," Laura says to her camera. "And if you ever notice a mass of people not sleeping, it might be a dead sandman sitch. Also check the video description for details about the wake we're having for the Summers and Pit covens."

Laura swallows hard, willing the tears not to come. All these people dead. Because of me.

"I'm sorry if any of you lost family or friends in that whole tragedy," she continues. "I promise their deaths won't be for nothing, and the Dean will answer for this. I'm going to head over to the house and get some answers from her today. Maybe it'll all have something to do with that Vordenberg guy. If you guys know anything about him, please contact me."

She ends the video and uploads it, making a mental note to add more details to their sandmen entry in the Book of Shadows.

Her phone rings and she answers it. "Hey, Danny."

"Hey, Hollis." There's a pause and Laura realizes there's an enormous commotion in the background. "How well do you remember the course on Not-Combatant Magical Creatures?"

"Pretty well," Laura replies, trying to figure out where this is going.

There's another pause and Laura hears a loud splash. "Jesus Christ! Will someone relocate some of the merpeople?" Danny yells on the other end. "Sorry. Someone's targeting a whole slew of these non-combatant creatures–– maybe that Vordenberg dude. Nymphs, leprechauns, mermaids, genies–– you name it. We're hiding as many as we can in Magic School until we can figure it out, but we need more hands on board."

"On my way," Laura says, smacking at a napping Carmilla on the couch. "On our way."

Carmilla grumbles and pulls the blankets over her head.

~*~

"Daycare sure has changed since my day," Carmilla comments as they orb into a chaotic Magic School lobby.

There are lines separating individuals by magical species, with signs pointing where to go. Nymphs bored waiting are creating endless piles of flower crowns. A stack of lamps and urns are flooding a box labeled "genies." Leprechauns are stacked on each other towards the end of their line, no doubt trying to see how far back they are.

"Do you think if I yank one out from the middle, I can make a fun game of Jenga?" Carmilla teases.

Laura rolls her eyes. "Be nice."

"Hey, Laura! Love the videos. Keep them up!" a kid yells out as he rushes past her, heading for the potions lab.

She gives them a small wave and Carmilla smirks.

"'Oh! Laura! I've seen every episode of your vlogs! Will you autograph my breast for me?'" Carmilla mocks, pretending to swoon.

Laura giggles. "Shut up."

Danny, looking slightly frazzled, notices them and runs over. "Great, great," she says, leading them to an emptier corner. "Carmilla, whitelighters are out on acquisition detail. J.P. can tell you who still needs rescuing. Laura, I need you to help Perry and LaF with boosting the protection spell since you're one of the more powerful spell-casters we've got."

"And what are you going to be doing?" Carmilla asks, arms crossed. "Acting as the last remaining pillar if this place falls?"

Danny mocks laughter. "No, smartass, I'm helping with the lines here."

"Laura's the only one allowed to compliment my ass," Carmilla replies.

"Right now, Laura wants your nice, leather-clad ass to do what Danny told you to do," Laura says, giving her a quick peck on the lips.