Chapter 26 || Alleyni

The many nobles and advisors in attendance whispered under their breaths about Alleyni's abnormal clothing and indecent company, no doubt spreading rumors with each whispered syllable. Queen Corrina, however, was above all of them and stood to welcome her niece.

"Alleyni, darling, I've missed you."

Alleyni smiled as she was welcomed into her aunt's embrace. After releasing Alleyni, Corrina walked towards Evyn and Varyn who stood a few yards behind her.

"Evyn, it is always good to see you," Corrina murmured, hugging the young man as well.

Corrina had always had a soft spot in her heart for Alleyni's childhood friend. She turned then to Varyn, eying him curiously.

"And you are?"
Alleyni stepped beside her aunt, gesticulating to the stranger. "This is Varyn, a swordsman requested to protect Evyn and I on our journey here."

Corrina took in Varyn's angular face and dark features, so contrasted by her pale skin, light brown hair, and soft blue eyes. After a brief moment, Varyn knelt as if a second thought.

"Your majesty."

Corrina's eyes narrowed."My niece says you are a swordsman, and yet you carry yourself as an equal?"

Alleyni eyed their exchange, realizing the truth of Corrina's claim. He carried himself far differently than any sword-for-hire she had ever seen; he was nothing short of pompous, but carried himself royally regardless of his low station. He expressed no fear at the high stations of those with whom he interacted.

Varyn glanced at Alleyni and then lowered his gaze. "Please accept my apology, your majesty. I am just a swordsman; I do not know how to act around royalty."

"And yet you seem quite comfortable around my niece," Corrina's voice was cool as she appraised Varyn thoroughly.

He offered no reply and Corrina turned to Alleyni. "So tell me, dear, what brings you here?"

Alleyni glanced once at the surrounding advisors and nobles. "I came to pay my respects to the memories of my beloved mother, your sister, on the eve of the anniversary of her demise."
Corrina smiled graciously, her expression instantly masked. "I am so glad for your presence in commemorating our dear Lin's passing. My companions, you will leave us to mourn in solitude?"

The surrounding nobles and advisors nodded and bowed deferentially before exiting the room. Evyn and Varyn stood uncomfortably behind them. Alleyni could feel Varyn's dark eyes burning into her back, questioning her motives.

"Evyn, Varyn, if you don't mind, I'd like a few words alone with my aunt." Alleyni smiled, but shot Evyn a look.

He would keep Varyn out of the throne room so she could speak with her aunt. As soon as the gigantic throne room was empty, Corrina drew Alleyni by the hand to her intricately carved stone balustrade that overlooked the coastline. The sea wind was singing in the air, and it painted a portrait with the strands of her hair.

"So what really brings you here? While I certainly appreciate you paying your mother tribute, I think I know you better than that."
Corrina's soft eyes, cool and wise, watched her closely. "I mean no disrespect to Mother, but I had to come see you and it was the only excuse that would convince Ghael."

"So why have you come? And who is this sword-for-hire whom you call a companion?"
"He is just that, a traveling warrior who happens to be talented with a sword. Father has taken him on to teach me to fight. I take it you do not much care for him?" Alleyni watched her aunt closely, attempting to gauge her perception of Varyn.