Chapter 31

Alex POV

The next morning I woke up and went to make breakfast. I wasn't feeling the best so I just had a bit of fruit. I needed to go to work so I got ready and left, it was going to be a full day. 

After work when I got home I went inside and saw Steve sitting on my couch. "Hi." He got up when I came in. "How was your day?" He asked. 

"Steve, what are you doing here?" I asked him. 

"I wanted to talk to you." 

"Why? We can't." 

"Why not? Why can't we just do something with no strings attached and just until Soda gets back?" 

"Because Steve, I'm having Soda's baby. I can't I love him, I want to be with him." 

"So it's over between us?" He asked. 

"There was nothing between us at all. I just think we should pretend none of this happened and just go back to how Soda wanted us." 

"You can't tell me you didn't feel something between us." 

"There wasn't it was just a mistake. Steve, I think you should leave." I looked down. 

"Fine, I'll be back tomorrow to check on you." He left. 

*A couple months later* 

I was going on 4 months pregnant and I was starting to struggle to hide it. I send a letter to Soda and he sent one back for me to take to the gang so he could tell them. I went over one night after dinner Darry said he would make sure they were all there. 

I walked in and saw Steve staring at me. He stopped by once a day for less than 5 minutes but thats all he could stand to look at me. I felt awful but I couldn't do that to Soda. 

"So I have a letter for you guys from Soda." I handed it to Darry. He started to read: 

Hey guys, I hope you are all doing well, I'm doing great its pretty intense here but other than that it's not to bad. So I have some big news. Alex is pregnant! She is about 4 months and I found out the night before I left but we wanted to wait until later to tell you guys. I really hope you are as excited as we are and help her out once the little one comes. I hate how I can't be here for the first part of their life but I really hope you all are active in their life. 

I'll see you guys soon, Sodapop

Darry looked up and smiled at me. The gang was all in shock but slowly started to congratulate me and took turns hugging me. 

Over the next couple of months the gang helped me out with a lot of stuff. We stopped hearing from Soda, its been almost two months since the last letter I got from him. I was so worried, but Steve and I have grown really close, he always came to my appointments with me and spent the time at my house. It started off as only friends but over time my feeling started to change.

I was about 8 months along now, I hadn't heard from Soda since I was 6 months. Steve spend most nights here with me to help me out with stuff and we both help each other since we didn't have one of the most important person in our lives anymore. It really helped having him so close. He made me feel safe and helped keep each other okay and not just falling apart. 

"Steve?" I asked siting up pulling away from his arms. 

"What?" He asked. 

"Do you think what we are doing is wrong? I mean how close we are and it happened so quickly." 

"Soda said do what we have to, he wants us to be okay and I'm sure he is okay with it. He wouldn't want you sitting here upset if he is gone." 

"I know but we aren't telling the gang and hiding it just seems wrong." I looked down. 

"It's not." He took my hand. "I promise." He leaned over and kissed me. 

I pulled away and teared up. "I just can't believe he is gone." 

"I know." He pulled me close and rubbed my side. We all figured since we hadn't heard from him in so long something happened to him. Over time I got closer with Steve it helped us both. I guess it just helped us both feel closer to him. 

We didn't usually kiss mostly just hug and spend time together. I feel like neither of us wanted to break down when the other was there so it helped us keep it together and move on. 

"I'm going to go to bed." I got up. 

He held on to my hand. "Sure you are okay?" He asked.

"Yes, I am." I nodded. 

"I'm going to stay out here tonight." He looked at me and let go of my hand. 

I smiled at him before walking away. I was really glad he never tried to push me. I didn't want to get very close to him until I knew something happened to Soda. I still had hope he was okay. 

*The next day* 

It was 10 in the morning and I got a call, I figured it was Darry. "Hello?" I answered. 

"Babe, it's me Soda." I froze. "I'm at the hospital in town." 

I still couldn't say anything he sounded like he was in some pain. 

"Please come here?" He asked. 

"Okay." I breathed hanging up the phone. 

"What?" Steve asked. 

"I got called into work. I have to go and you should too." I couldn't look at him as I ran out of the house.