Chapter 5

I walked quickly out of the school doors, trying to ignore people. Maths hadn't been a bad lesson, and Mr. Roberts luckily hadn't given me a detention for being late. I just wanted to get home and go to sleep. I wasn't feeling particularly good, and just wanted to get away from my own stupid feelings.

I saw Matt stood by the gates waiting for me, but I ignored him and walked on, not wanting to talk to people at the moment. I heard heavy footsteps running behind me, but I assumed it was just stupid kids being idiots, as usual.

"Violet, where you going?" Jimmy asked, turning me around to look at him. I totally forgot that we were supposed to go to see a movie tonight.

"Home. I'm just not in the mood for anything tonight, Jimmy. Can't we go some other time?" I asked, already walking off.

"That's exactly why we're going out tonight. You need to get your mind off things. I checked the listings in ICT, there's a comedy about some police guy who becomes a hairdresser.." he trailed off.

"I don't wanna see a comedy." I said slowly, trying to get him to leave me alone so I could go home.

"There's a horror too, about some family who get's haunted by something. It's new, apparently it's really creepy.. You wanna see that?" he asked. I knew he wasn't going to give up, so I just nodded.

"Fine, but if it's too scary I will be hiding behind you." I said, smiling slightly.

"I told Matt you were coming to the cinema with me, so he's gone straight home." he said.

"Good, good." I mumbled, looking at the floor. I realised I never spent time with Jimmy alone, and that made me nervous. We were close, but we'd never really gone out without Matt.

"What's up?" Jimmy asked, noticing my expression.

"Nothing." I said, trying to avoid conversation. I didn't know why, but Jimmy was making me anxious. I didn't want to be here, I wanted to be at home.

"You can talk to me, you know. You can tell me anything, I'm here for you." he smiled, putting his arm around my shoulders and squeezing slightly. The contact made me flinch slightly, but I doubted he noticed.

"Thanks, Jimmy." I said quickly.

We went into the cinema and Jimmy paid for the tickets, ignoring me as I tried to give him my share of the money. He bought us some popcorn and coke to share and we went into the movie, sitting at the back, waiting for the movie to start.

"Don't get too scared." Jimmy teased, offering the popcorn to me. I took a handful and ate slowly as the movie started.

It wasn't too scary to begin with, just a guy with a home video camera. I yawned as the film just seemed to drag on, nothing particularly scary happening, just a few small things moving about, and a guy trying to convince his wife their house was haunted. He was fixing cameras into different rooms, the movie showing each room as nothing interesting happened during the daytime.

"Tired?" Jimmy laughed. I shook my head and reached over him to get some more popcorn. Jimmy managed at some point during the movie to put his arm around me without me noticing. It wasn't as weird as it probably looked, it was comforting in fact.

The movie started to get slightly scarier as it went on. Things started jumping out and moving around, making me jump. There was a part in the movie when the whole house shook and the children were being dragged around by something unseen, their beds being thrown across the room. I kept my scream in as I moved closer to Jimmy, taking comfort in him.

"You're scared." he laughed, putting the remains of the popcorn on the floor and pulling me into a hug. From anybody else's perspective, we probably looked like a couple. Me leaning on Jimmy as the film started to scare me, him with his arms wrapped around me tightly, almost protectively. But Jimmy and I both knew there would never be anything between us, it would be insanely weird.