Chapter 6

I tried to hide my smile but I couldn't. I was happy that I was going to stay.

"Thank you all, so much."

"It's fine. Do you know how to shoot a gun?" asked Hershel.

I looked down at my shoes.

They were dirty and falling apart.

"Actually. I do, but...It's a long story."

And it was true- the memories haunted me.

Rick spoke up. "I understand if there's something about it that you just can't stand, but in this world we live in now, you have to find a way to protect yourself. Because the people who used to- aren't really here anymore."

I sniffled, my mother , she was gone.

"I know. Sorry, I will get through it eventually- I'll learn to." I answered.

Almost everyone had gone back to killing walkers. Rick and Hershel were still there. Carol was cleaning up, and Lori was resting in a stool that was reclined on a wall.

"I better get back to help Maggie and Glenn." And with that, Rick was gone.

I excused myself and went back up to my cell. I layed on the bottom bunk, my arms getting goosebumps as they touched the cold covers. Trying to ignore it, I faced the wall- staring at the dried up blood drops.

I couldn't help but feel sad about the person who laid here before me.

Had they suffered when the whole world was collapsed or before? When the whole world was collapsing. What had they done to be here?

Murderer?

Robber?

Rapist?

I closed my eyes, trying not to think about that anymore.

I wished and wished that when I woke up I would be in my home, on my bed, with my sister just across the room-on her phone.

But I accepted it.

"They told me that dreams come true,

but darling- don't you know nightmares are dreams too?"