fourteen

When Lord Yuto's health and skin went back to a stable condition, which was about another week later, there came news that the governor, Governor Daiyo, would be coming to visit Lord Yuto for dinner, along with his daughter, Yuri. 

The entire palace, from the staff to Lord Yuto himself, prepared themselves for their arrival, for the palace had never had an important guest since Lord Yuto's father was in power. While everyone was busy cleaning and cooking for a grand feast, Juro and Admiral Wooseok pulled Lord Yuto into his bedroom to speak to him. 

"Lord Yuto, you need to wed soon," Admiral Wooseok reminded him, "and Juro and I believe that Yuri is the best choice." 

"She is practically royalty, and she is polite, and she is pure," Juro mentioned, "we want the best for you Lord Yuto." 

"I will choose a wife when I see fit," Lord Yuto groaned, straightening his back and closing her eye, "though I do not see the point of marriage when the point of this to make sure someone conceives my child."

"Having a child without being married is looked down upon, your impression on the people will worsen," Admiral Wooseok spoke. 

"They hate me already, do they not?" Lord Yuto opened his eye and looked Admiral Wooseok in the face. 

"We are just saying that today, you should at least attempt to be nice to Yuri. Most likely, she has heard the terrible stories of you, and if you show to her that you can be sweet or at least not evil, she could make things better for you." 

"How so?"

"She will tell the townspeople what she saw from you tonight, and it will improve your impression," Admiral Wooseok explained, "which is what you need right now."

"I don't want to be married," Lord Yuto mentioned, "so keep that idea out of your thoughts. It's not like I would be a good husband anyways, I bring misery upon everyone who loves me or cares for me in whatever way." 

Admiral Wooseok pinched the bridge of his nose. "If it is not Yuri that you want, then who?"

"No one," Lord Yuto turned his head to Admiral Wooseok. "I just said I do not want to get married. I refuse." 

"You seem pretty fond of Nao," Admiral Wooseok smirked. "Are you sure she wouldn't suffice?"

"Shut up!" Lord Yuto's neck vein bulged from the volume of his shout as he stood and faced Admiral Wooseok. 

It was true, Lord Yuto learned to handle Nao, and Nao learned how to handle Lord Yuto over the past month. Lord Yuto was not as harsh to her anymore, and Nao spoke quieter and less around him. They found a balance that was comfortable for the both of them, and thus, Nao became Lord Yuto's preferred maid. She was the one called to clean his clothing, feed him, apply his cream, and at times, speak for all the maids. 

"Lord Yuto," she said one night, when she was helping him put on his robe after applying his cream. "The maids in my quarter are complaining of the cold that seeps through the large windows in our room. We do not have enough bedding to keep warm, and some of them have fell ill." 

"And why are you mentioning this to me? You cannot handle a little cold?" Lord Yuto rolled his eye. "It's not an issue, the cold weather does not last forever." 

However, two nights later, all the maids in the palace were given a larger, thicker blanket and long sleeve thermal to wear at night. At Lord Yuto's request, Nao promised to tell everyone that it was Admiral Wooseok who brought them the warm items. 

"Nao is a sweet girl, she definitely cares about you more than anyone else in the palace aside from Juro and I," Admiral Wooseok added, "and her face compliments your own." 

"I would never marry someone so beneath me, she is my maid," Lord Yuto said, "what an insult to me." 

Admiral Wooseok's eye twitched, thinking about his love for Kin. However, he let it slide for now. "Just talk to Yuri tonight, and be nice. She is only seventeen, she has no idea how a man should treat her, and I do not want her to have bad thoughts about men because of you."

"Nao will be bringing you one of your best robes to wear, we look forward to seeing you at dinner tonight, Lord Yuto," Juro bowed. Afterwards, him and Admiral Wooseok left the room, Nao walking in just a mere second later, Lord Yuto's robe in her arms. 

"Hello," she greeted him, "Admiral Wooseok advised me to put some more cream on you before we put on the robe, so you do not feel any burning during dinner tonight."

"Be honest with me," Lord Yuto spoke, "he did not tell you that. You just want me to look good for Yuri."

Nao's cheeks turned pink, and she did not say anything else, a small smile across her lips. 

"What's the rush about me being married? Why is it so important for me to be married as soon as possible?" 

"A lot of the people in the palace are worried, that's all," Nao answered as she walked to the big table, where the leftover cream from two days ago sat. 

"Worried about what?"

"Well-" Nao pressed her hand against Lord Yuto's chest, making him sit on the bed,"-that day, when there was two assassination attempts against you, everyone else got the idea that you would die early, so everyone wants you to get married and have kids so the royal line continues on." 

"What do you mean 'everyone else?'" Lord Yuto asked, slipping his robe off his shoulders. 

"You're not going to die young, not with me around," Nao promised, applying the first layer of cream to Lord Yuto's neck. "Crowds will be cheering and singing for you and girls will be chasing you and fathers will respect you before you can die, Lord Yuto." 

Although he did not show it, Lord Yuto was a bit touched by her words. He never heard someone say those things to him before. 

After a few minutes of silence, Lord Yuto spoke. "Nao?"

"Yes?" 

Lord Yuto grabbed her wrist, making her look him in the face and focus only on him. 

"I need you to teach me how to make women like me."