eight

The next month passed by just like that - Nao preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner for Lord Yuto. Lord Yuto's face began to seem more round and there was more color. Admiral Wooseok noticed that Lord Yuto was saying a little more words each week at meetings with other Zuko leads (the head of education, the leader of the medical field, and the head of trading ports and other economic business). Overall, Juro, Nao, and Admiral Wooseok were all very content with how Lord Yuto has been lately.

"Whatever you are putting in his food," Admiral Wooseok said to Nao secretly in the hallway outside of the maids' quarters, "keep putting it. Okay?"

Tonight, Nao was getting ready for bed with the rest of the maids in Quarter H. She was already in her gown and had washed her face, and she was absolutely tired. After cooking today, she helped clean all the dishes and she scrubbed the floors of the throne room and helped with the garden.

"I need to go to the restroom," Kin stood up suddenly, looking faint, "I will be back soon."

"Are you still feeling sick?" Roon asked, worriedly, as she got into her bed, "You left during lunch as well."

"I am fine, maybe a fever, Roon," Kin gave a weak smile, "I will be back."

Kin went to the door and opened it, surprised to find Juro about to knock. He was obviously tired as well, being it was eight o'clock at night.

"Oh!" Kin gasped, closing the door slightly. She quickly checked the room to see if any girls were changing before allowing Juro into the room.

"I apologize, I know it is so terribly late," Juro bowed his head a bit, "but I was sent by Lord Yuto."

"For what? Is everything alright?" Nao asked.

"Well, for me I think it is excellent news," Juro chuckled loudly, which made Nao laugh as well. He had such a lovely and funny laugh. "However, in your case, Nao, I do not know if you will be okay with it."

"What is it?" Nao asked, confused.

"Lord Yuto would like you to cook for him and make something to eat," Juro explained, "he wants some cooked vegetables and noodles. Is that fine with you?"

The other girls turned their heads to Nao. They were honestly amazed that Lord Yuto was warming up to a maid. Usually, he kept his distance from them, letting them do their work and feed him food. To the other maids, it seemed like their emperor was growing fondness for Nao.

"Of course," Nao asked, her eyes wide, "I will bring it to him as soon as I can."

"Thank you," Juro asked, "I will tell him he should be expecting you." Juro then stepped out, Kin following suit for the bathroom.

Nao left the room after a few minutes, walking down the hall towards the kitchen. Her mind was drifting onto how she should prepare the meal, and what vegetables she should give him. Should she give him some fruit on the side?

"Wooseok," a voice mumbled.

Nao turned her head, scared out of her mind. She looked down the hall behind her and saw nothing. There was a shuffling noise in the room in front of her, and she noticed that the large bronze door in front of her was cracked open.

Nao cautiously walked up to the door, gently peeking into the room to see where the voice was coming from. Nao's eyes widened at the scene and she let out an audible gasp.

Inside was a bedroom, which seemed untouched. This must be one of the extra bedrooms used for guests (which Nao knew that there were not many that came to the palace). On the bed laid Wooseok, his arms around Kin. He was shirtless, his muscles bulging as held Kin underneath him, his lips pressed against hers in a heated kiss. Kin had on her gown, the shoulder of it pulled down slightly to expose more of her skin. Her big curly hair was now loose, her kinky curls laying underneath her head and all over the pillow.

Wooseok's lips traveled to Kin's neck, pressing soft kisses. His hands moved to her shoulder again, tugging at her gown and pulling it off her shoulder.

"Wooseok," Kin mumbled again, pressing at his chest.

Wooseok moved away, looking at Kin's face with concern. "Are you alright?"

Kin nodded, her fingers running through his hair. Wooseok kissed her again, more softly, knowing that Kin obviously did not want to go too far tonight. He wrapped his arms around her back and held her close, kissing her deeply.

"I promise," he whispered, stroking her hair, "I will get you back to Mei, back to your family."

"Will you come with me?" Kin asked.

"I cannot, sweetheart," Wooseok pouted, "I have to be here and lead the army and be here for Lord Yuto and the people."

"Then, I will not go, I will stay here," Kin swore. Nao could not see her face since Kin's back was to the door.

Wooseok just kissed her again, holding her tight. His eyes turned to the door for a second, and Nao backed out of the way, holding her breath. When she was sure Wooseok did not notice, she continued walking to the kitchen, cursing herself for being so nosy.

Nao worked in the kitchen, preparing Lord Yuto's meal. Her forehead was covered in sweat from the boiling steams of water for the noodles and her eyes were almost drooping. She desperately wanted to sleep.

After the noodles were boiled and seasoned, and when the sliced cucumbers, squash, and peppers were seasoned and cooked, she put the two dishes on the tray before preparing a bowl of fruit with bits of dark chocolate for dessert. Once everything was complete, Nao put all the different foods on a tray. She then poured Lord Yuto fresh juice from a pitcher before walking to his room.

Lord Yuto's room was closed by two large bronze doors with the drawing of a dragon in bright green on each door, illuminating by the lights inside the room. Juro told her that the door would be unlocked so she could get in easily, so Nao knocked twice and pushed open the door.

"Lord Yuto, I have brought you some food," Nao called, looking around the room.

It was extravagant, the bed sheets made of silk and there was such a big balcony. There was a chandelier just over the middle of the room, where a glass table was. Nao put down the tray on the table, standing up to check around the room.

"Lord Yuto? Are you here?" She called again.

She was not exactly worried about him. She just wanted to know the scene was safe so she could walk onto the balcony for a few moments. Kin said that Lord Yuto's room had the best view of the capital city, and Nao desperately wanted to take the chance and see while she has time.

After checking the room one more time, Nao ran onto the balcony, taking in the scenery. The streets were lit up with lanterns, and she could see the beautiful trees that she suddenly wished she paid more attention to. She could smell the crisp, fresh air, blowing through her hair as she closed her eyes.

"I miss home," she mumbled.

She truly did. She missed the days when her mother would scold her, or her mother would tell her she was not ladylike. She missed going to the market and playing with the small kids in the road. She missed her mother's cooking and the way her mother laughed when Nao was clumsy and tripped. She missed the rainy days whe-

"What are you doing out here?"

Nao turned, seeing Lord Yuto standing directly behind her.