five

When Nao was dropped off at the maids' quarters, there were five women already in there, the majority of them being her age. They looked tired, their eyes slightly baggy and red. 

"This is only an eighth of the total maids here in the palace," Wooseok explained to her, "but this is the quarter where you will be staying." Without another word, he gently pushed Nao into the room and closed the door behind her. 

"Why are you working here? What have you done?" A woman called, as she sat on her bed. She had light brown hair and pale skin, and round glasses. Nao worried about her health because of how thin she was. 

"Did I have to do something in order to be a maid in the palace?" Nao countered.

"Are you saying you were willing to work here?" Another woman spoke, while she finished folding her clothing. This was a thicker woman, who tied her big, curly hair in a bun, and covered it with a yellow scarf. She definitely was not from this nation, her skin was the color of mahogany. She might have been from the southern nation of Mei, where the sun is worshipped and the people are dark because they enjoy bathing in the sun's rays. 

"Is everyone here a prisoner of some sort? What have you done?" Nao turned the question back on the women. 

"I was a prisoner of war, my mother captured during the battle between Mei and Zuko. Admiral Wooseok convinced the late Lord Orochi to not murder me with the other prisoners. Even though our nations are now at peace, I must continue to work since I have no way home."

Nao did not say a word, not knowing what exactly to say. The darker woman continued to speak. 

"Word of advice," the woman spoke, "be nice to Admiral Wooseok. He is kind, and has sympathy for those of us who work diligently day and night. He would not let anything harm us unless we disobey Lord Yuto's orders. Wooseok is a good man." 

Nao nodded, "Thank you for the advice."

"Now," the girl on her bed sat up and looked at Nao, and everyone's eyes followed suit. "Why are you here? What have you done? Was your mother too ill to continue work at the palace and you took over? Did you speak ill about the palace?" 

"No, I did not," Nao responded. 

"You're scaring her." A third woman walked up to Nao, a hand on her shoulder. This woman was strong and muscular, more toned than Nao was. She was tan like Nao, but had reddish black hair and hazel eyes. "I'm Veva, from the islands of Tai. I'm the only one of the maids who chose to work here, due to my lack of money at the time."

"I'm Kin," the darker woman spoke again, "welcome to Quarter H, where the youngest of the maids reside." 

"I'm Nao," Nao finally introduced herself. "I'm from here, from Zuko." 

"Why did Wooseok bring you to us?" Veva asked. 

Nao looked at the awaiting women in the room. "I-I was assigned here, by Lord Yuto." 

"For what?" 

"Because I stopped someone from assassinating him," Nao answered, "today when he was walking through the streets." 

Veva removed her hand from Nao's shoulder, obviously upset with Nao's words. "Why would you do such a thing? This man is poisonous, the devil in a human's body." 

"He is a murderer, a vile creature!" Kin added. The girl with the glasses looked like she wanted to cry, and the two other woman who were in the room did not even look at Nao anymore. "You saw someone was going to assassinate him, why stop it?"

"I-I apologize," Nao bowed her head slightly, "I had no ide-"

"I'll be here for another few years," Kin groaned, turning away from Nao and into her bed. 

"Please forgive me, it was instinct! I'm from the family of Zaiyo, I could not control myself seeing the emperor about to be murdered. I had to do something!"

"So, he punished you for trying to protect him?" The girl with the glasses asked, "It doesn't make sense."

"He told us that he was meant to be removed from this earth," Nao answered, "and I got in the way of it." 

No one wanted to speak about the attempted assassination afterwards, so Nao changed the subject. 

"Can someone please tell me what my job is in this palace?" Nao asked timidly. Veva reached underneath her bed, and pulled out light green and dirtied robes, which seemed to be a little too big for Nao. 

"You will work in the kitchen," Veva stated, "and you shall prepare all of the meals with the ten other women in the kitchen. You will be specifically be preparing Lord Yuto's dishes."

"Why did you give her the hardest job?" Kin asked, her eyes widened. 

"Because there are not enough people willing to cover it!" Veva responded. 

"Why is it so difficult?" Nao asked, "I can cook food."

Veva chuckled at Nao's innocence before she plopped the pile of maid's garments into Nao's awaiting arms. 

"You'll see," Veva smiled at her.