four

When Nao had woken up again, she had felt someone tug her robes up, exposing her thighs to the cold air. Immediately, Nao let out a cry and reached down to cover her body. 

She looked up, seeing Wooseok in front of her on his knees. He no longer had on his armor, but a black and dark green robe, which made him seem a little slimmer than before. Nao glanced out of the window behind him and could see the sun was beginning to set, her heart racing at the things that could have happened in the hours she had been asleep. 

"Your friend is dead," Wooseok mumbled, "and news has spread that you are dead as well." 

Again, Wooseok held the hem of Nao's robes with two hands before pulling up, and Nao pulled them down again. 

"S-Stop," she begged, "don't touch me!"

Wooseok was about to grab her again, but he stopped, closing his eyes and taking a breath. He remembered Lord Yuto's words and decided to be more calm.

"I'm tending to your wounds, and your bruises," Wooseok said, "I was ordered by Lord Yuto." 

Nao looked up at Wooseok, her body aching. She did not want him to see her body, not in this situation. 

"I don't want you to," she said back. 

"If I do not tend to them, you'll eventually lose feelings in both your arms and legs."

Nao did not say a word, frightened by the things Wooseok would do. This man was large, his hand wrapped around the circumference of her thigh with no issue, and he was apparently ordered to take care of her. He was rough, there was no way a man as abusive as him could be gentle enough to tend to someone's wounds. 

"Do you have your undergarments on?" Wooseok asked. 

Nao tried to sit up, but ultimately failed from the pain in her spine. She laid back down, sweat beginning to form on her forehead. 

Wooseok tried again to lift her dress, and this time, Nao just let him. Nao closed her eyes tightly, knowing Wooseok would be the first man to see anything underneath her dress. Although she had her undergarments on, it was degrading to have a random man see her like this. 

"Just please don't hurt me," she begged, "please."

"Stop begging," Wooseok groaned, "the pain will come from the soreness of your wounds. I'm not going to touch you inappropriately."

Wooseok tugged the robes off of Nao's body, her private parts covered by tight black wraps. Her tanned body was littered with purple and blue bruises, from her arms to her legs. 

"Heavens," Wooseok groaned, looking at the skin. He reached beside him, where a bucket rested. Wooseok pulled out a wet, cold towel, and placed laid it flat on Nao's legs, causing her to hiss at the cold. 

"This is not happening," Nao closed her eyes, trying not to cry. 

"It is," Wooseok reminded her, "you are in Zuko Palace, after you attempted to assassinate Lord Yuto during his walk."

"It was not me," Nao said angrily, "in fact, I should be treated more nicely! I saved his life!"

"You want me to believe that a girl as frail as you protected Lord Yuto from being killed?" Wooseok laughed.

"I am Nao of the Zaiyo family," Nao informed, "the family known for its strength and loyalty."

"Oh really?" Wooseok asked, his eyebrow raised. "You are known for strength but you have passed out twice from not being able to endure pain." 

"I refuse to have someone as rude and dense as you to degrade me," Nao said. "Be grateful I saved your beloved emperor."

Wooseok did not saying in response, he grabbed a bottle of green tea extract and grapeseed oil and poured a fair amount on his palms. He then rubbed the oil on Nao's arms, massaging the tense skin. 

"When I finish bandaging your wounds," Wooseok spoke, "I will take you back to Lord Yuto, and he will continue with your punishment." 

Nao rolled her eyes. "Are you drag me around like before? I hope you are not married, your wife is most likely just as battered as me when she has someone like you in the house." 

Wooseok only chuckled. "I'm only a year older than you are." 

Nao looked at him in astonishment, and did not speak another word. 

Nao found herself again the throne room on the knees, bowing before Lord Yuto for the second time that day. Juro was still on his side, but there was only one guard this time next to Lord Yuto.

"Lord Yuto wants you to speak honestly of what happened today," Juro spoke. "Do not make up anything, do not lie, or you shall be punished."

Nao nodded. "I was in my home with my mother, watching Lord Yuto pass. I noticed that the merchant was walking behind Lord Yuto, angrily looking at him. I went outside to see the positioning of the guards, and realized that there was no one directly behind Lord Yuto, and the merchant would come and strike him before the guards could stop him. However, I ran at the same time the merchant did, and stopped him." 

No words were said for a while, Juro looking at his emperor to wait for what he would say. 

"You should not have gotten involved," he spoke lowly. Everyone's eyes widened at his words. 

"Lord Yuto, your life would have been t-"

"You should have done what was asked of you and stayed away, you should have stayed in the home with your mother, away from me and from the merchant. You were told by both your mother and the merchant to not get involved, but you wanted to be a hero for once in your life. You wanted to fulfill your goals and show to everyone, especially your mother, that you were a Zaiyo and that you needed to protect. No one asked that of you, and for that, you are being punished. You shall work in the palace, from day to night, until someone else takes my place as emperor."

"Your term started only two weeks ago, and you are young," Wooseok stated, "and she protected you from death."

"Lord Yuto, he is right," Juro squeaked, "we owe her a lo-"

"I am Adachi Yuto, son of Orochi," Lord Yuto spoke, "I am born with the coldness of the winter solstice, and the venom of snakes. I was created with the sharpness of an owl, and the devil's blood runs through my veins. I am hated by every child and every woman and every man and every animal, and the universe will strike me as many times as it can to stop me from leading the nation of Zuko. We should not stop it from taking me."

"Lord Yuto, do not say such things, please!" Juro begged. 

"Why do you think I stopped walking in the streets?" Lord Yuto looked into Juro's eyes, scaring him. "Why do you think I did not look behind me mere seconds before the merchant was coming to kill me? Did you really think I did not notice him trailing behind us with his weapon?"

Juro looked into his emperor's eyes sadly, tears forming in his eyes as he looked towards the ground. He loved Lord Yuto so much, he cared for him since he was a child. He could not believe that the heavens were plotting to end Lord Yuto's life. He used to be such a sweet boy.

"Wooseok, take her to the maids' quarters, they will tell her what her jobs will be," Lord Yuto ordered.

"Lord Yuto, as the admiral of the army, and as your best friend, I'm asking you to reconsider this punishment. She did not know such things, she was merely trying to save your li-"

"Now, Wooseok," Lord Yuto ordered again, his face more stern and angry.

Wooseok looked into his eyes, unfazed, before bending down and picking Nao up and helping her out of the throne room for the second time that day.