Part 27

Mark

"Mark, stay with Yugyeom." Jinyoung yelled, his hand going to his hip, where a dagger was placed. My eyes widened,"Are you insane? You can't go up there alone!" He sighed, pulling out the weapon,"I'm the most experienced out of all of us, and the most capable right now." Jinyoung pointed out, voice shaking, then added,"And BamBam could be fighting for his life right now, alone." He immediately ran from the room, leaving me with Yugyeom, who was getting paler by the second. I bit my lip angrily, torn between worry and reason. It was a good idea for me to stay with Yugyeom, to protect him and keep him alive. But what if something terrible happened to Jinyoung and BamBam, what if they died when I could have done something.

  Then I reminded myself, what if Yugyeom died because I left? "Mark." The groan woke me from my thoughts. I quickly fell down beside my friend,"What is it? Are you in pain? I can get you something, like water or food." Idiot how are you suppose to do that when there are people breaking into the freakin house! Yugyeom shook his head,"Go to Junior, Mark." I furrowed my eyebrows in co fusion,"Great now you are going insane! I can't leave you here alone with villagers trying to kill us. What if you-" My throat seemed to close around the unsaid word, Yugyeom's face softened,"I'm not getting better. You should go, they need you more than I do." A thud came from the second floor. I found myself trembling, head shaking left to right over and over,"No, you can still improve and like Jinyoung, I mean Junior, oh my god I'm a mess." My hands went to pull angrily at my hair. I had been doing so well at bottling my emotions as we tried to help Yugyeom. Now it felt like everything was finally falling apart,"I can't do this."

   A hand rested itself on my head,"Mark, calm down. Look at me." I hadn't even realized my eyes were shut until they opened to lock with his sad brown ones, the both of us gasping for air,"Waste your energy on someone who isn't going to die anyways. Go save my family," Tears began to fall down his cheeks,"for me." My shoulders tensed, my body going rigid,"No Yugyeom don't talk like that-" Yugyeom's voice cracked as he screamed at me to leave,"Don't let BamBam die because of me Mark!" I quickly got off the floor, shocked by the sadness and regret behind his words. Spotting a knife on Yugyeom's belt I hesitantly picked it up,"I'll go, but this wasn't your fault."

The dying boy in front of me gave a weak smile,"Go help them, Yi en." My jaw went slack for a second in shock as Yugyeom closed his eyes. The rise and fall of his chest let me know he wasn't gone just yet. I gulped down the fear and made my way towards the stairs. The further I got the more I heard. Grunts and groans, then a gasp,"BamBam!" Jinyoung's voice was carried down the hallway. I forced my legs to move faster, into a run. They were still sore from training the day before. His voice had come from BamBam's bedroom, at the end of the hall. Pushing the door open I was surprised to see a body on the floor. A body I didn't recognize. Commoner. The person got to their feet and turned at the sound of my footsteps. The villager was a woman. She stepped forward, a shining dagger in her hand. I quickly got into a defensive position, thinking back to all my training with Yugyeom and Jinyoung. Her eyes pinned on my right shoulder. I noticed the weapon was in her left hand, and her shoulders were angled away from her so called target. Trying to trick me? As she moved to stab my left side I moved forward and to the right, bringing my elbow against her chest, successfully knocking the air out of her. She stumbled back, gasping for breath. I took the opening, bringing my knife across her waist without thinking.

She dropped her weapon to hold her side in pain, giving me time to bring my right leg under both of hers. The sound of her body hitting the floor echoed throughout the room. Gulping I brought my knee over her thighs, my hands holding her wrists so she couldn't stand or attack,"Oh my god, Mark?" My head snapped to the right at the sound of the voice, along with now audible pants. There against the wall was Jinyoung and BamBam. Bam had one of his hands placed on Jinyoung's thigh, his eyes wide. It only took me a few seconds to realize why when he pulled away to reveal a red substance.