~Chapter 6~

POV- Alice

When I woke up, the sun was shining high in the sky. I shuffled my sleepy self over to the window, and finally looked at the town.

Oh...my god...

It was stunning. Buildings and houses made of stone and wood, people on the streets with carts full of various items to be sold. The light made everything glow, even the children running around, playing together, no boundaries separating them. Their parents watched, smiled, and laughed. They were all so happy.

The sky was a light blue, puffy clouds floating overhead. I hadn't ever seen much of the sky, all I'd ever known were the leaves of various kinds of trees in the forest, and how they'd change colours from season to season, eventually dying and falling to the ground. The trees blocked most of the view from my window, but sometimes I could see the sun, reach my arm out and have it's warmth on my hand.

I stared for minutes, watching the world change around me. In the rush from last night, as well as the darkness, I hadn't had the chance to see anything, but this was spectacular.

A knock forced me to look away from the scenery. "Oh, come in."

Matt opened the door, a shy smile appearing on his face. "I-isn't it pretty outside?" He asked, seeing my position at the window. I nodded slightly, then saw what he was carrying in his hands.

"Oh, um, this is a dress for you." He handed the blue dress over to me. The sleeves were short and puffy, and the hem was a royal blue. most of the dress was a soft blue, matching today's sky. "I got it from the innkeeper, since your dress is torn up."

I looked down at the dark violet dress I had on, seeing it was indeed torn and dirty, too much to wash or fix. "Thank you."

"N-no problem." He flashed me a smile, warm and sweet, then left me to change. I felt warmth rush to my cheeks, but I wasn't sure why. Looking in the room's mirror, my cheeks were dusted with a pink blush.

I shrugged it off, taking off the ruined dress. Sliding the blue dress on, I found the fabric was soft and silky. The top hugged my torso snugly, and the bottom flowed out beautifully, shining in the sunlight. Looking closer, I saw a few gems added into a pattern around a bow near my chest.

I twirled, smiling, watching my reflection. I kicked the other dress to the corner of the room, feeling determination rush through my veins. The Alice from the tower, the alone, sad, isolated Alice, was gone. My reflection in the mirror at the inn, that was the new Alice. 'The strong, happy, free one.'

Combing my fingers through my hair, I cheated a bit with magic detangling it, and fixing the rough edges it was cut at. Stepping back a bit, I looked into the body-length mirror, satisfied with the change in looks. My green eyes looked a lot brighter than before. More alive.

I walked out of the room, finding Matt and Al coming up the stairs with food, bickering over something. I stayed quiet so I could listen.

"Dude, we can't let the guards see us. Mom and Dad have probably already told them we're missing." Wait...missing?

"W-why don't we just go back to the castle then, they'll both understand the situation..."

"Maybe, but...you know how they are sometimes. They'll think it's some stupid plan to get chicks."

"W-well, for you i-it kind of is..."

"Agh, whatever, man. Fine, let's go back home. But I'm not going through the forest again. That place is fuckin' creepy."

I thought in the shadows of the hallway for a few seconds. Missing...so they went out of their way to sneak out and save me, without thought of the consequences? Wow... And the guards? Why would they be so concerned over them?