~Chapter 5~

POV- Alfred

 HOLY JESUS. 

 We all whipped around at the voice. "Who the hell are you?!" 

 The man wore a cloak covering his face, and seemed to float, barely touching the dirt of the forest floor. When he looked up at us, he wore a malicious grin. 

 "Who am I? Well, just ask dear Alice, or blondie over here." He chuckled, gliding closer to us. As his shadow crossed the trees, the flame in our lantern suddenly went out. 

 "Martin..." Alice whispered, and a flash of anger lit up her eyes. I turned back to face this Martin. So he was the one keeping Alice locked inside that tower. Unsheathing my sword, I stood protectively in front of my two companions. 

 "Oh, well look at that~" He seemed to fade into the shadows, disappearing from our vision. I pivoted around, looking for his outline in the cold, dark night. "So this boy here is going to defend you? From me?" 

 I shot a glare in the direction of his voice. "Damn straight." 

 He laughed, coming back into sight, HOLDING A BALL OF FIRE. By this point, I was ready to freak the hell out. I mean, holding FIRE! In his hand! HOW?!

 That's when Alice spoke up. "They're not the ones saving me. I'm saving myself." She pushed me out of the way. I blinked a bit, confused. Why wasn't she scared? "From you.

 "My whole life, you tried to lie to me. I understand that now." She walked towards him. "You took me away from my real parents, you locked me away in this tower, you stole away any opportunities I could've had! And for what?" Her long hair dragged in the dirt behind her, as she stood up to Martin. "Even though you tried to make me feel wanted, by feeding me, visiting, giving me Ko...it wasn't enough to make me love you like a real dad." 

 I lowered my sword, seeing a flash of a tear roll down her cheek, yet she kept her glaring eyes focused. 'Man. She's tough.' The thought stuck in my mind, and when I thought I saw Martin's grin droop...

 "You think that I wanted to do anything for you?!" He suddenly exclaimed, the ball of flame glowing brighter. "I never wanted a child, Alice. You're a bother, only useful for the gift that you have. I thought you were onto me, so I gave you that stupid bear, but now I see that it's useless." 

 Alice stumbled back, pretty green eyes wide. "T-then...why..." 

 "He's a power-lusting freak, Alice." I looked over in shock at my brother, bow out and arrow already in place. His target was obvious. 

 "I know, I just-" 

 "Aw, how cute~" Martin interrupted, grabbing Alice roughly by the neck. "Even though I'm a terrible person, kept you locked away from whatever destiny you would've had, you still get choked up when I state how worthless you are. I was the only person you could ever rely on, so obviously you were at least a bit fond of me." 

 I took Alice's arm, yanking her from his grip. She fell numbly to the ground, emotionless. 

 "It seems like I still need her, though, so I'll be taking her back with me, where she belongs." He tried to get close to Alice, but I slashed at him, my blade glinting in the orange light. He turned his gaze over to me, a hateful expression filling his visible features. 

 I watched as the cut I'd made healed instantly. By this point, I couldn't be surprised anymore. Whatever this guy was, he was still the villain. Which meant I, as the hero, had to deal with him. 

 "You won't touch her." 

 POV- Alice

 I don't know why I felt like this.