Chapter 1 - Mom

My mom has always been strange. One minute she loves me, the next she can't stand me. I guess I do love her really though... but sometimes she goes too far. I guess I have to love her really; I haven't got any other family around. From what I know, my Nan disowned Mom when she fell pregnant with me at 16.

"And good riddance!" Mom would often say. As for my dad... well I don't know where he is, where he works and  I don't even know his name. Mom refuses to talk about him, the only thing she's ever said regarding my dad is "he's not here now, that's what should matter!" she gets defensive as though she's hiding some big secret from me, from the world...

I've never experienced having a male figure in the house. Its only ever been Mom and me. I've never known any different. It can sometimes get lonely as mom suffers from bipolar disorder. She can go from being the happiest woman in the world to the most angry, which usually ends up in her taking her anger out on me. Its not ideal but I know she can't help it. I try to hide everything... my bruises, my cuts.

Life is a constant battle between caring for mom and my school work. I'm already failing most subjects which makes mom even more mad, but how does she expect me to work AND care for her. Its just a vicious cycle that seems to never end... but things could be worse right?