Chapter Nineteen: The Queen Returns Home

Al drummed his fingers on the table of his desk. He looked over to the girl who had been helping him with the paperwork. She was very tall and very thin but her hair stood out in every direction in thick dark curls. She was extremely efficient and always showed up to work early but she and Al had never really had a conversation, he thought her name was Jan or something. 

"Do you like working here?" he asked her. It was almost time for her to go home and she looked up at him in surprise. 

Shrugging her shoulders she said, "Yes, of course."

"Are you just saying that because I'm paying you?" 

She laughed, "No. It is actually pretty great working for you. You're a great boss. And you have lots of experience doing so many things. I think I can learn a lot here."

"But you're just doing paperwork."

"Well yes but it's more than that," she laughed again and put down the papers she was working on. The room was already dark from the setting sun and he could feel his stomach growling. "You see this one here? I had to sign off on the transport security for when the queen comes back next week. How cool is that?" she grinned but Al was frowning. 

"The queen isn't coming back next week," he grabbed the paper and examined it. 

The girl whose name was maybe June said, "Yes, she is. The paperwork is already all filled out. This is her travel itinerary, here are the requirements for her chambers, and we've got the meal plans for her homecoming feast."

"Fuck," he whispered. "Why didn't I know about this?" 

Julie shrugged, "You sort of just sign off on things now. I get the impression you don't really read much anymore." 

Al raised his eyebrows, "You call out all your bosses like that?"

"Only the ones who can take it," she picked up her cloak and waved to him as she headed out the door. Clearly, the day was over and it was time to go back to some other life. 

But Al's only life was these papers and this office space. So he buckled down and started actually reading the paperwork. 

Apparently, Amelia was arriving tomorrow evening. She would sail into Re'na and then apparate into Okamila. Her chambers were already prepared and the food was being prepped in the kitchens right now. It took him an hour to find the document he was looking for. 

Al, 

Hogwarts isn't safe anymore. I'm coming back to Okamila and I need there to be more security than ever. There's something you should know but I want to tell you in person and I don't think it should be put into writing. 

Fred wishes I wouldn't come. There's so much going on back in my world and he wants to stay for a while and try to get things sorted. But he said he will join me here a few weeks after I arrive. 

There's so much I need to tell you. I can't wait to see you. 

Thanks for everything you've been doing. I wouldn't be able to do all that I can without your help. 

Lots of love, 

Amelia. 

He groaned when he saw his signature on the bottom corner. He always signed papers he had read. Jennifer was right. He really needed to start paying more attention. Al yawned and realized he hadn't properly slept in days so he left the paperwork as it was and headed up to his chambers. He didn't even bother getting changed, he just flopped onto his bed and fell right to sleep. 

.........................

"Al," a voice whispered. "Alakai, you need to wake up."

He groaned, rolled over, and pulled the blankets over his head. 

"She's here," the voice urged. "You're missing the welcome."

"Who's here?" 

"Queen Amelia."

"Fuck!" he swore and jumped out of bed. "She's here?"

That June girl was trying not to grin too much at him. He groaned and she handed him a robe. It was a bottle green color that looked nice with his eyes. He flattened his dark hair and whisked out the door with Jane on his heels. They raced down the corridors and he could hear her laughing behind him which he tried to ignore. The castle was empty because everyone was at the welcoming ceremony. 

The queen had just entered the castle when Al arrived. The doors closed behind her and he could see her clearly through the crowd. Her hair was pinned in a small knot at the back of her head and her crown rested neatly on top. 

She turned and waved when she saw him. That infamous Amelia Merlin smile spread across her face. Al could feel himself start to smile too and he strode towards her. He bowed when he got close enough and kissed her hand. 

"Your grace," Al grinned. 

"It's good to see you, Al. I think we still have an hour until the feast is due to start. Would you walk me to my chambers? I think I need to pick out something else to wear," she beamed at him and took his arm. Everyone who was part of the welcoming party, the masters of various departments, lords, and ladies of the court, and other important people, all went back to their normal day to day activities. The Entrance Hall was now empty of people and it was just the queen and her most trusted counselor. 

"So?" Al looked at her. "You had something to tell me."

Amelia shook her head, "No, I have a few things to tell you." Al laughed and nodded. 

"I wouldn't expect anything else."

"Well," she beamed. She looked so happy. He didn't think he had ever seen her so happy. "I got married!" she squealed and held up her hand. 

"Yeah, I know."

"How do you know?" she chuckled. "Are you getting psychic without telling me?" 

"No," he shook his head. "I saw the ring the second you walked in."

"Oh!" Amelia laughed. "I sometimes forget how observant you are! How brilliant is this?"

"Can I ask who the lucky man is?" 

"You remember Don Monatheon, right?" Al made a face and Amelia chuckled, "I'm kidding! I didn't marry Don. I married Fred. You met him at my coronation."

"Congratulations," he kissed her on the cheek. 

"I know you had other plans. I know you wanted me to marry some fancy lord or lady but I had to marry him-"

"I'm not upset Amelia. I'm happy for you. I really am."

"Do you want to hear the other part?"

"Of course."

"I'm pregnant."

He raised his eyebrows and could only look at her face. Her mouth was trying not to smile, it was literally bursting with how excited she was. But in her eyes, he saw something else. 

"Congratulations," Al pulled the girl into his arms and hugged her. She was shaking against him. "It's okay. You're okay. Both of you are going to be safe and no one is coming near you guys."

............

In the Gentle Forest, thousands of miles from Okamila, Rose had finally gotten Silvio to stop crying.